DENVER, Colo. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (2-6) concluded its three-match road trip in Denver with an impressive 3-0 win over Mills College (0-5). Rockford was in control the majority of the match, as the Regents seldom trailed and their largest deficit at any point was just four points. Additionally, Mills broke the 20-point barrier in just one of the three sets, as Rockford cruised to an easy win (25-15, 25-18, 26-24).
- The first set went back-and-forth in the opening moments, with neither team leading by more than three points early on.
- With the Regents still holding an 11-10 advantage, things began to swing in Rockford's favor. The Regents used a 10-2 run to take a 21-12 lead and seize control of the first set.
- Four different Regents recorded kills over that stretch, led by two kills from Mackenzie Blizniak.
- Rockford then closed the set by scoring four of the final seven points, capped off by a Paige Carpenter kill, to win the first set 25-15.
- The Regents and Cyclones traded points early on in the second set until Mills used a 7-1 run to take its largest lead of the match at 15-11.
- Fortunately, Rockford responded right back with a 10-1 run of its own, to take a 21-16 lead and regain control of the set. Four Regents tallied kills during the run, led by three from Alicia Puente.
- Rockford once again closed the set strong, scoring four of the final six points to take the second set 25-18 and grab a 2-0 lead.
- The Regents found themselves in an early hole in the third set after the Cyclones scored the first four points.
- Rockford would again answer with a 10-1 run to leap out in front 10-5. Sophomore Della Crain led the charge during the run, scoring five of the Regents' ten points.
- However, the Cyclones would not go away without a fight, as they used a 10-4 run of their own to retake the lead at 15-14.
- The two schools went back-and-forth trading points for the remainder of the match, until Regents and Cyclones were tied at 24-24.
- Rockford's Paige Carpenter and Della Crain smashed back-to-back kills to win the set 26-24 and the match 3-0.
- Della Crain led the Rockford attack with a match-high 12 kills, 2 digs and 1 assist.
- Paige Carpenter recorded her first double-double of the season with 10 kills, 10 digs, 2 assists and 1 service ace.
- Jessica Witkowski also tallied her first double-double of the year with 14 assists, a season-high 10 digs and 2 aces.
- Jennifer Quintas finished with a team-high 12 digs, 6 assists, 1 kill and 1 ace.
- Casey Sheetz had 11 assists and 9 digs.
The RU women's volleyball team returns to the court on Wednesday, September 11 at Knox College with a scheduled start time of 7:00 PM.