DENVER, Colo. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (1-5) dropped a pair of matches in straight sets on Friday to Johnson & Wales University (1-4) and William Peace University (5-0). Rockford fell 3-0 (25-10, 25-13, 25-20) in its opening match of the day to JWU before dropping the nightcap 3-0 (25-20, 25-17, 25-20) to William Peace.
Johnson & Wales University (Play-by-Play)
- Rockford fell behind 4-1 in the first set, before using a 5-1 run of its own to grab a 6-5 advantage. Della Crain and Alyssa Ashford each tallied a kill over that span.
- Unfortunately, things went downhill quickly after that, as JWU used a 13-0 run en route to taking the opening set 25-10.
- The Regents again got off to a slow start in the second set, falling behind 5-1.
- Rockford was never able to get any closer than three points for the remainder of the set, falling 25-13.
- The third set followed a similar pattern as the first two, with Rockford trailing 4-1 early on.
- The Regents continued to fight and would pull back within a single point at 4-3, after back-to-back kills from Nicole Eggers and Alyssa Ashford.
- The Regents and Wildcats continued to trade points for the remainder of the match, as neither team led by more than four until late in the set.
- Unfortunately, the Wildcats proved to be too much for the Regents, as they held on for the 25-20 win.
William Peace University (Play-by-Play)
- The Regents opened their second match of the day with an 11-4 run to take early lead. Rockford was led by two kills each from Alicia Puente and Mackenzie Blizniak over that span.
- Rockford maintained its seven-point edge until late in the set, when the Pacers went on a 10-0 run of their own to retake the lead at 21-18.
- The Regents were never able to get any closer than three points after that, as William Peace took the opening set 25-20.
- Set two did not go well, as the Regents fell behind early and were never able to recover.
- The Pacers scored ten of the first 13 points to take a quick 10-3 lead.
- William Peace extended its advantage to as many as nine points, before ultimately taking the set 25-17.
- The third set followed an identical pattern with William Peace scoring ten of the first 13 points and grabbing a 10-3 advantage.
- The Regents were never able to get any closer than four points for the remainder of the match, as Rockford fell 25-20.
Johnson & Wales University
- Paige Carpenter led the Regents with seven kills.
- Mackenzie Blizniak finished with five kills and two digs.
- Brooke Mirshak had a match-high 13 digs.
- Casey Sheetz led Rockford with 12 assists.
William Peace University
- Paige Carpenter tallied a match-high ten kills and eight digs.
- Brooke Mirshak had 16 digs and three assists.
- Jennifer Quintas finished with 11 digs and two assists.
- Jessica Witkowski had a solid all-around match with 14 assists, nine digs, one kill and one service ace.
- Casey Sheetz tallied 11 assists and four digs.
The RU women's volleyball team returns to the court on Saturday, September 7 against Mills College. The match has a scheduled start time of 10:00 AM in Denver, Colorado.