JACKSONVILLE, Ill. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (0-2) fell twice on Friday evening at the Illinois College Volleyball Tournament. The Regents opened with a 3-0 (25-23, 25-18, 25-16) loss against a tough Simpson College (1-0) squad, and then fell 3-0 (25-14, 25-11, 25-16) to host Illinois College (1-0).
Simpson College (25-23, 25-18, 25-16) - Play-By-Play
- Rockford got off to a slow start in the first set, falling behind 8-2. Simpson's lead would hover around six points until the Regents made a push in the closing moments.
- Still trailing by six late in the set, the Regents went on a 5-0 run to pull within a single point. Five of the six points came off the serve of Della Crain, three of which were service aces, as the Regents now trailed 21-20.
- Unfortunately, it was the Storm who scored four of the final seven points to win the opening set 25-23.
- The second set started much better for Rockford, as the Regents jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead off back-to-back kills from Della Crain.
- However, the Storm responded right back with a 6-0 run of their own to take a 6-3 advantage.
- Simpson would extend its lead to as many as 10 points before ultimately winning 25-18 to grab a 2-0 lead.
- The third set went back-and-forth in the opening moments, with Della Crain smashing home a kill to put her team out in front 5-4.
- However, Simpson then went on a 6-1 run and never looked back. Rockford was never able to get any closer than three points for the remainder of the match, as the Storm took the third set 25-16 and the match 3-0.
Illinois College (25-14, 25-11, 25-16) - Play-By-Play
- Illinois College took control of the first set early on, as the Lady Blues scored nine of the first ten points to take a commanding 9-1 lead.
- Rockford played much better from that point forward, but it was not enough, as Illinois College won the first set 25-14.
- Set two went back-and-forth in the opening moments with each team leading early on.
- However, with Illinois College clinging to a 10-9 lead, the Lady Blues closed the set on a 15-2 run to grab a 2-0 lead.
- The third set was similar to the first, as Illinois College scored eight of the eleven ten points to take an early 8-3 lead.
- Rockford was able to get back within four on a few different occasions, but it was not enough, as the Lady Blues won the third set 25-16 and the match 3-0.
- Della Crain led Rockford with a team-high 10 kills, 3 aces and 1 dig.
- Jennifer Quintas tallied a match-high 19 digs, 2 assists and 1 service ace.
- Paige Carpenter had a good all-around match with 8 digs, 5 kills and 1 ace.
- Della Crain again led the Rockford attack with 6 kills and 1 dig.
- Paige Carpenter finished with 5 kills, 4 digs and 1 ace.
- Brooke Mirshak had a team-high 14 digs and 1 assist.
The RU women's volleyball team returns to the court with two more matches on Saturday, August 31. The Regents open with MacMurray at 10:00 AM, followed by Knox at 2:00 PM.