HANCOCK, Mich. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (4-24) fell in a hotly contested match on Friday evening to the Finlandia University Lions (7-22). The 3-0 final score was not at all indicative of just how close the match was. Although the Lions were able to win the first set 25-14, both the second and third sets came down to the wire. In the second, Rockford fell 26-24, and in the third, the Regents had a set point but came up short, as the Lions took the set 27-25 and the match 3-0.
- Rockford took an early 6-4 lead in the first set. The Regents ran off four straight points to take their first lead of the set, three of which came off the serve of Amelia Rehberg (Pecatonica, Ill.).
- The Regents would hold onto a slim lead until midway through the first. With the set tied at 10-10, Finlandia closed on a 15-4 run to take the first set 25-14.
- After falling behind early in the second set, Rockford battled its way back to within two points on multiple occasions. With Rockford trailing 12-10 however, the Lions scored the next five points to leap out to a 17-10 advantage.
- Fortunately Rockford would mount a comeback late in the set. Still trailing by seven at 20-13, the Regents scored nine of the next twelve points to pull back within a single point at 23-22. During that span, Rockford was led by a pair of kills from Della Crain (Lena, Ill.) and a pair of service aces from Nicole Eggers (Marshall, Wis.).
- The Regents would eventually tie the match at 24-24 off a Paige Carpenter (Phoenix, Ariz.) kill. Unfortunately the Lions scored the final two points of the set for the 26-24 win.
- Rockford got off to a very slow start in the third set falling behind 11-3. However the Regents promptly responded with a 9-3 run of their own to close the gap to just two points at 14-12. Senior Maddison Hiland (Bellevue, Iowa) was particularly effective during the run, smashing three kills and a pair of service aces.
- The set went back and forth over the next handful of points, before the Regents took their first lead of the set at 20-19. A few points later, a Della Crain kill gave Rockford its first set point of the match at 24-23. Unfortunately the Lions were able to fight off the set point, and score four of the final five points in the match, to win the third set 27-25 and the match 3-0.
- Della Crain led the Regents with a team-high 10 kills. It was the fourth time this season Crain has hit double-digit kills in a match.
- Maddison Hiland played a solid all-around match with 9 kills, 2 service aces, 1 block and tied her season-high with 11 digs.
- Paige Carpenter tied her season-high with 18 digs, while Casey Sheetz (Rockford, Ill.) tallied a team-high 23 assists.
The Rockford University women's volleyball team concludes its season on Saturday, October 27 against Grace Christian. The match has a scheduled start time of 9:00 AM Eastern Time at Finlandia University.