BELOIT, Wis. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (4-21) fell in a three-set nail-biter on the road Tuesday evening to the Beloit College Buccaneers (8-12). The match was close the entire way as each set was decided by five points or less, with both of the final two sets decided by just two points. Unfortunately it was the Buccaneers who came out on top 25-20, 25-23, 25-23.
- Rockford got off to a slow start in the first set, falling behind 11-3.
- Fortunately as has been the case all season long, Rockford never quit and continued to fight and battle to the very end. The ladies promptly went on a 4-0 run of their own to cut the Buccaneer lead in half.
- Beloit would extend its advantage back out to as many as seven points, before Rockford made one final push in the closing moments. Rockford used a 4-1 run to pull back within four at 23-19. Freshman Della Crain (Lena, Ill.) led the charge over that span with a trio of kills.
- However it was not enough as Beloit scored two of the next three points to take the first set.
- The second set had a very similar beginning with Beloit jumping out to a quick 12-4 lead.
- Rockford once again promptly responded with a 4-1 run to pull back within five at 13-8. Beloit's lead would hover around five until late in the set when the Regents scored five straight points to tie the match at 20.
- Neither team was able to gain much of an advantage over the next six points, as the set was once again tied at 23.
- Unfortunately it was the Bucs who ran off the final two points of the set and escaped with the 25-23 win.
- The third set had an entirely different feel in the opening moments, as this time it was the Regents who jumped out to the early lead. Rockford used a pair of services aces from two different Regents and a pair of kills from Maddison Hiland (Bellevue, Iowa) to take a 7-3 advantage.
- Rockford would extend its lead to as many as five points at 19-14 and force the Buccaneers to use a timeout.
- Following the timeout, the Bucs ran off eight straight points to regain the lead at 22-19.
- Fortunately the Regents responded right back with three straight points of their own to tie the match at 22-22.
- However the Buccaneers once again closed the set by scoring two of the final three points to take the set 25-23 and the match 3-0.
- Maddison Hiland led Rockford with her second double-double of the season. Hiland finished the match with 10 kills and 10 digs.
- Amelia Rehberg (Pecatonica, Ill.) recorded a team and season-high 12 digs.
- Casey Sheetz (Rockford, Ill.) tallied 21 assists and 6 digs.
- Della Crain finished with 8 kills and Emily Johannes (Eau Claire, Wis.) had 7 kills.
The RU women's volleyball team returns to the court on Friday, October 19 against Benedictine University. The match has a scheduled start time of 7:00 PM in the Seaver Center. Be sure to join us on Friday for senior day as the Regents will be honoring senior Maddison Hiland prior to the start of the match.