FOND DU LAC, Wis. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (4-20, 0-10 NACC) concluded its weekend road trip on Saturday afternoon against the Marian University Sabres (9-11, 4-5 NACC). Despite what the score might indicate, Rockford played well for much of the afternoon. However, unfortunately the Sabres proved to be too much, as they were able to win the match in straight sets, 25-17, 25-20, 25-12.
- Rockford took an early 6-2 lead in the opening set, thanks in part to a pair of kills from Della Crain (Lena, Ill.) and one kill each from Maddison Hiland (Bellevue, Iowa) and Emily Johannes (Eau Claire, Wis.).
- The Regents were able to maintain a slim lead until midway through the set, when Marian used an 8-1 run to jump out to a 14-9 advantage. Rockford was able to get back within three points on multiple occasions, but could not get any closer, as the Sabres won the opening set 25-17.
- The second set followed a near identical pattern as Rockford once again scored six of the first eight points to take a 6-2 advantage. Emily Johannes was major was major factor in the opening moments, as Rockford scored four straight points off her serve, including a pair of service aces.
- However just like in the first set, Marian responded right back, this time with a 9-0 run to make it an 11-6 Sabre advantage.
- Marian would extend its lead to as many as 11 points before Rockford mounted a furious comeback attempt in the closing moments of the set. With Rockford trailing 24-13, the Regents scored seven straight points to get back within four at 24-20. Della Crain led the charge during that span with a pair emphatic kills. Unfortunately it was not enough as the Sabres were able to record the final point and eke out a 25-20 win.
- The third set belonged to Sabres as they opened on a 9-0 run and never looked back. The Regents were able to get back within seven points but it was not enough, as the Sabres took the set and match by a final score of 3-0.
- Emily Johannes led Rockford with a team-high 6 kills, 3 service aces, 2 block assists and 6 digs.
- Della Crain tallied 5 kills and 4 digs.
- Jennifer Quintas (Rockford, Ill.) recorded a team-high 7 digs.
The Rockford University women's volleyball team returns to the court on Tuesday, October 16 at Beloit College. The match has a start time of 7:00 PM in Flood Arena.