Oct 05, 2018
RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Rockford University volleyball team (4-17, 0-7 NACC) came up just short on the road Friday night to the Concordia University Chicago Cougars (8-12, 3-4 NACC). Rockford played better in each successive set, and ultimately pushed the Cougars to their limit in the third set. Unfortunately it was the Cougars who came out on top in straight sets (25-13, 25-14, 28-26).
- The match got off to a tough start for the Regents as the Cougars scored the first six points to grab a quick 6-0 lead.
- Concordia Chicago would extend its advantage to as many as 14 points en route to winning the opening set, 25-13.
- The second set had an entirely different feel, as this time it was the Regents who took an early lead at 5-3.
- The Regents and Cougars battled back-and-forth until midway through the set when the Cougars began to take control.
- With CUC leading 15-12, the Cougars went on a 10-2 run to win the second set and take a 2-0 lead.
- The third set was hotly contested as both teams had multiple set points.
- It was once again the Cougars who jumped out to the early lead. CUC would push its advantage to as many as six points late in the set before Rockford mounted a furious comeback.
- With the Regents trailing 18-12, Rockford used a 7-2 run to pull back within a single point at 20-19. Freshman Nicole Eggers (Marshall, Wis.) led the RU charge with a pair of kills and back-to-back service aces.
- Rockford continued to battle, scoring five-of-six points to take a 24-23 lead and give the Regents their first set point of the match. The Regents had another set point at 25-24 after Emily Johannes (Eau Claire, Wis.) smashed her seventh kill of the match.
- Unfortunately it was not meant to be, as the Cougars closed the set on a 4-1 run to win the third set and the match.
- Della Crain (Lena, Ill.) led Rockford with a team-high 8 kills.
- Emily Johannes finished with 7 kills and a team-high 11 digs.
- Casey Sheetz (Rockford, Ill.) tallied her third double-double of the season with 19 assists and 10 digs.
The RU volleyball team returns home on Tuesday, October 9 against Aurora University. The match has a scheduled start time of 7:00 PM in the Seaver Center.