RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Rockford University volleyball team (4-14, 0-4 NACC) dropped a pair of matches on the road against the Dominican University Stars (10-6, 3-1 NACC) and St. Mary's College in Indiana (8-9). Rockford fell in its first match against Dominican in straight sets with scores of 25-17, 25-7 and 25-15 before dropping to St. Mary's by 25-8, 25-18,25-15.
Dominican University (25-17, 25-7, 25-15)
- The opening set was a tight battle early on as the Regents and Stars saw themselves tied at 10-10.
- The Star went on an 8-2 run to give Dominican an 18-12 lead.
- The Regents fought all the way back to make it 22-17 but the Stars put the game away scoring the next four points to take a 1-0 advantage.
- Dominican carried that momentum over into the second set as the Stars opened up with a 13-2 run.
- The Regents could not find an answer for the DU attack as they dropped the second set 25-7.
- It was tight in the third match as Rockford trailed 12-8.
- However, the Stars would go on a 4-0 run to up their lead to 16-8.
- The Regents attempted to mount a comeback as they brought the score to 20-15.
- Unfortunately, the Stars went on to score the next five points to sweep the Regents 3-0.
- In the opening set Rockford stuck around in the beginning as they trailed 4-3, before trailing 8-5.
- St. Mary's went on an impressive thirteen point run to extend its lead to 21-5.
- St. Mary's went on to take the first set 25-8 with an incredible .591 kill percentage.
- In the second set the Regents flipped the script and led 8-5.
- It was a tight affair as St. Mary's regained the lead and kept it close with a score of 19-17.
- Unfortunately, RU could only score another point as they fell in the second set 25-18.
- The Regents again opened with a lead in the third set, up 4-2.
- However, St. Mary's fought back to take a 14-10 lead.
- Rockford could not mount a comeback as it scored four straight points at the end but fell by a score of 25-15.
- Emily Johannes (Eau Claire, Wis.) lead the Regents with 9 kills in the match.
- Casey Sheetz (Rockford, Ill.) dealt out a team-high 19 assists.
- Madison Hiland (Bellevue, Iowa) and Paige Carpenter (Phoenix, Ariz.) did well on the defensive side recording 10 and 9 digs respectively.
St. Mary's College (Ind.)
- Freshman Della Crain (Lena, Ill.) led the Regents with a team-high 10 kills.
- Fellow freshman Casey Sheetz led the Regents with a team-high in both assists and digs with 18 and 9 respectively.
The Rockford University women's volleyball team returns to action on Tuesday, October 6 when it hosts Concordia Wisconsin.