CHICAGO, Ill. - The Rockford University volleyball team (4-13, 0-4 NACC) played its first of three road matches in less than 24 hours on Friday night against the Illinois Tech Scarlet Hawks (3-9, 1-2 NACC). Unfortunately it was the Scarlet Hawks who came out on top in straight sets: 25-20, 25-12, 25-15.
- The first set was very competitive as neither team led by more than five points.
- With Rockford trailing 8-6, the Regents used a 6-0 run to take their first lead of the evening at 12-8. Freshman Nicole Eggers (Marshall, Wis.) led the charge with five straight points coming off her serve, including a pair of aces.
- However, Illinois Tech bounced right back with a 6-0 run of its own to retake the lead at 14-12.
- Although Rockford was able to get back within a single point on multiple occasions, the Regents were never able to retake the lead and dropped the opening set 25-20.
- The second set got off to a rough start with Illinois Tech jumping out to a 12-3 lead. Rockford was able to cut the Illinois Tech advantage down to six points, but was unable to get any closer, as the Scarlet Hawks won the second set and took a 2-0 lead.
- The third set followed a similar pattern as the Scarlet Hawks once again got off to a fast start. Illinois Tech scored 12 of the first 14 points and took at 12-2 advantage. Rockford was able to get as close as seven points, but it was not enough, as Illinois Tech took the third set 25-15 and the match 3-0.
- Maddison Hiland (Bellevue, Iowa) led Rockford with a team-high 10 kills. It was the second time in the last three matches that Hiland has tallied double-digit kills.
- Emily Johannes (Eau Claire, Wis.) had a solid all-around match with 7 kills and 8 digs.
- Jennifer Quintas (Rockford, Ill.) finished with a team-high 15 digs. Quintas currently ranks sixth in the NACC and with 205 digs.
- Casey Sheetz (Rockford, Ill.) tallied a team-high 16 assists.
The Rockford University women's volleyball team returns to the court on Saturday, September 29 for a pair of matches at Dominican University. The Regents are set to play Dominican at noon followed by St. Mary's College at approximately 2:30 PM.