WATERTOWN, Wis. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (4-12) continued its six-match road trip on Tuesday evening against the Maranatha Baptist University Sabercats (9-8). The first set was highly competitive throughout. However unfortunately, it was the Sabercats who squeaked by with a 25-22 win. The Sabercats then used the momentum they had built to takes sets two and three, 25-14 and 25-12, to win the match 3-0.
- Rockford played extremely well and led for nearly the entire opening set of the match.
- The Regents scored eight of the first ten points in the match, led by three kills from Maddison Hiland (Bellevue, Iowa), to leap out to an early 8-2 lead. The ladies would extend their advantage to as many as seven points at 12-5, before the Sabercats slowly began to chip away at the lead.
- The Sabercats promptly went on an 11-5 run to pull back within a single point at 17-16.
- However Rockford seemed unfazed as the Regents scored the next three points, led by a pair of kills from Emily Johannes (Eau Claire, Wis.) to jump back in front 20-16.
- Unfortunately with Rockford still holding a 22-19 lead, it was the Sabercats who scored the final six points to win the opening set 25-22.
- The second set belonged to the Sabercats as they never trailed. Maranatha opened on a 17-7 run, including scoring the first 4 points of the set, to take a commanding lead.
- Rockford was able to get back within seven at 20-13, but unfortunately it was the Sabercats who came out on top 25-14 to take a 2-0 lead.
- The third and final set was extremely close in the opening moments as the Regents and Sabercats traded points back-and-forth.
- With Maranatha holding a slim two-point lead at 9-7, the Sabercats scored the next six points to take a 15-7 advantage.
- Unfortunately Rockford was never able to get any closer than seven points for the remainder of the match, as the Sabercats took the third set 25-12 and the match 3-0.
- Emily Johannes finished with a team-high 10 kills and 8 digs.
- Casey Sheetz (Rockford, Ill.) led the Regents with 19 assists and 12 digs for her second straight double-double.
- Maddison Hiland had 8 kills, and Jennifer Quintas (Rockford, Ill.) tallied 10 digs.
The Rockford University women's volleyball team returns to the court on Friday, September 28 at Illinois Tech. The match has a scheduled start time of 7:00 PM.