MADISON, Wis. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (4-11, 0-3 NACC) continued to improve on Saturday with a pair of well-played matches on the road against Edgewood College (3-13, 2-2 NACC) and UW-Platteville (6-8). In the opening match of the day, the Regents gave the Eagles all they could handle, but unfortunately came up short in straight sets, 25-19, 25-23 and 25-15. The second match of the day between the Regents and Pioneers was even more competitive, as it went the full five sets. The Regents and Pioneers took turns winning each of the first four sets, before UW-Platteville was able to pull out victory in the fifth and deciding set.
Edgewood College (25-19, 25-23, 25-15)
- Rockford never led in the opening set of the match as the Eagles got off to a fast start, flying out to a 10-5 advantage.
- The Regents would continue to fight and claw their way back into the match pulling within three points at 19-16. Unfortunately the Eagles promptly responded with a 3-0 run to extend their lead back to six, en route to taking the opening set.
- The second set went back-and-forth the entire way as neither team led by more than three points.
- With Edgewood holding a 10-8 advantage, Rockford went on a 7-2 run to take the largest lead of the set for either team at 15-12.
- The set would go back-and-forth over the next few minutes with Rockford maintaining its three-point lead at 23-20. Unfortunately, it was Edgewood who scored the final five points to win the second set 25-23.
- The third set was tight in the opening moments as the Regents and Eagles were tied at 4-4. Edgewood then used a 17-5 run to take control of the third set and ultimately the match. Rockford was able to get back within eight points at 23-15, but it was not enough as the Eagles took the third set and the match.
UW-Platteville (25-14, 23-25, 25-13, 21-25, 15-12)
- The opening set was close early on, before UW-Platteville pulled away midway through. With Rockford leading 2-1, Platteville scored six of the next seven points to take a 7-3 lead.
- Rockford was able to get back within two points at 10-8, before the Pioneers went on a 10-5 run to make it 20-13. Platteville would then score five of the final seven points to win the first set 25-15.
- The second set got off to a horrible start for the Regents as the Pioneers led 15-3. Despite being down big, the ladies never gave up and would mount a comeback for the ages.
- The Regents promptly went on a 14-5 run to pull within two at 20-18. Following a UW-Platteville timeout, the Pioneers scored the next three points to extend their lead to five at 23-18.
- Rockford would not be denied, as the Regents scored the final seven points of the set, capped off by a kill from Della Crain (Lena, Ill.) to tie the match at 1-1.
- The third set was similar to the first, with the two schools trading points in the opening moments before UW-Platteville pulled away. With Rockford trailing by just three points at 12-9, Platteville went on a 10-2 run to take control of the set en route to the 25-13 win.
- Facing a must-win situation, the Regents came up clutch in the fourth set.
- Rockford got off to a fast start, scoring seven of the first nine points to take a 7-2 lead. However, the Pioneers were able to battle back with a 7-1 run of their own to take their first lead of the set at 9-8.
- The fourth set began to turn in Rockford's favor midway through, when the Regents scored four straight points to take a 19-16 lead. Rockford never trailed for the remainder of the set, including scoring the final three points to tie the match and force a fifth and deciding set.
- The fifth set was extremely close and could have gone either way. With Rockford trailing 7-5, Platteville scored the next three points to extend their lead to 10-5 and seeming take control of the set.
- The Pioneers would extend their lead to as many as six points at 12-6 before Rockford mounted yet another furious comeback. The Regents went on a 6-1 run to pull back within a single point at 13-12. Unfortunately it was the Pioneers who scored the final two points, to win the set and the match.
- Emily Johannes (Eau Claire, Wis.) led the Regents with 8 kills, 7 digs and 2 block assists.
- Paige Carpenter (Phoeniz, Ariz.) finished the match with a team-high 11 digs.
- Casey Sheetz (Rockford, Ill.) led Rockford with 14 assists and 7 digs.
- Maddison Hiland (Bellevue, Iowa) tallied her first double-double of the season with 11 kills and a season-high 11 digs.
- Della Crain finished with 10 kills and a season-high 4 block assists.
- Emily Johannes had 10 kills and 4 digs.
- Paige Carpenter recorded a season-high 18 digs.
- Casey Sheetz also recorded her first double-double of the season with 26 assists and a season-high 11 digs.
The Rockford University women's volleyball team hits the road on Tuesday, September 25 to face Maranatha Baptist University. The match has a scheduled start time of 7:00 PM.