ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (4-8) saw success at the RU Invitational as it won in three straight sets against the Mount Mary University Blue Angels (0-6) before coming away victorious in a five-set thriller over the Silver Lake College Lakers (2-7) on Saturday. Rockford took down Mount Mary winning 25-21, 25-13 and 25-17 before beating Silver Lake 3-2 with scores of 25-20, 25-21, 21-25, 27-25 and 15-9.
- Rockford played well as it never trailed in the first set.
- Mount Mary gave the Regents a scare scoring six straight points to trail just 24-21.
- Emily Johannes (Eau Claire, Wis.) put the match away with a kill to take the first set 25-21.
- The second set was much of the same as the Regents never trailed the entire set.
- Rockford did well defensively to keep the Blue Angels at bay as the Regents only allowed 13 points in a 25-13 set two victory.
- The third set was a tight match as Rockford looked to earn the sweep.
- It was a back-and-forth battle in the beginning as it was tied at 9-9.
- Fortunately, Rockford took the lead from there and never looked back.
- Helping the Regents earn the victory was a six-point run they went on toward the end of the set to make it a 24-15 game.
- Rockford earned the sweep with a 25-17 win in the third set.
- Play-by-play is not available for the Silver Lake College match.
- Emily Johannes led the way with a team-high 11 kills and 11 digs.
- Johannes recorded her second double-double of the season.
- Freshman Della Crain (Lena, Ill.) tallied a career-high 9 kills.
- Casey Sheetz (Rockford, Ill.) led the Regent attack dealing out 24 assists.
- Defensively Jennifer Quintas (Rockford, Ill.) led the way with a team-high 12 digs.
- Maddison Hiland (Bellevue, Iowa) and McCathran Andrew (Rockford, Ill.) both finished with 3 total blocks.
- This is the first 3-0 win for Rockford this season.
- Maddison Highland led the Regents with a career-high 19 kills with a .333 kill percentage.
- Emily Johannes recorded her third double-double of the season and second on the day with 15 kills and 13 digs to go along with 2 service aces.
- Della Crain helped contribute on offense with a new career-high of 12 kills.
- Freshman Casey Sheetz had a career-high 40 assists to go along with 9 digs and 2 service aces.
- Sophomore Jennifer Quintas played well defensively racking up a career-high 31 digs to go along with 2 service aces.
- Freshman Paige Carpenter (Phoenix, Ariz.) helped on defense picking up a career-high 15 digs.
- Amelia Rehberg (Pecatonica, Ill.) finished with 9 digs and 2 service aces.
- Hiland and Crain both recorded 3 total blocks.
- The Rockford University women's volleyball team returns to action when it hosts MSOE on Tuesday, September 18. The match is scheduled to begin at 7 PM.