ASHFORD, Wis. - The Regent volleyball team (1-6) picked up its first win of the season on Friday in an exciting four-set match against the Northland College Jills (0-5). Rockford jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead, after taking the first set 25-19. The Jills would not go away without a fight though, winning the second set 25-21 and tying the match at 1-1. However, the Regents bounced back nicely winning a thrilling third set 26-24, and then easily taking the fourth, 25-14, to win the match 3-1.
Northland College (25-19, 21-25, 26-24, 25-14)
- Rockford opened the match clicking on all cylinders including scoring the first seven points, en route to a commanding 10-2 lead.
- Maddison Hiland (Bellevue, Iowa) led the charge early on, serving seven straight times and smashing a trio of service aces.
- Northland would get back within four points at 17-13 before Rockford put the Jills away down the stretch. Rockford went on a 4-0 run, most of which came off the serve of Hiland, en route to taking the first set.
- The second set was a back and forth affair early on as the match was tied at 11-11 midway through. Northland then went on a 7-0 run to take control of the set at 18-11.
- Rockford was able to get back within four points, but could not get any closer, as the Jills tied the match at 1-1.
- The third set was extremely close throughout as neither team led by more than four points.
- With Northland leading 16-12, Rockford went on a 7-2 run with the final three points coming off the serve of Paige Carpenter (Phoenix, Ariz.).
- The Jills would score the next three points, before Rockford closed on a 7-3 run to take a 2-1 lead.
- Rockford would then take control of the match midway through the final set. The Regents used an 11-3 run to build a commanding 22-11 lead. Paige Carpenter was once again heavily involved, with Rockford scoring the final five points of the run off her serve.
- Following three points from the Jills, the Regents would score the final three points of the match for the 3-1 win.
- Maddison Hiland led the Regents with a season-high 10 kills on 26 attempts, for a .308 hitting percentage. She also added 8 digs and 3 service aces.
- Emily Johannes (Eau Claire, Wis.) finished with 8 kills and 7 digs.
- Casey Sheetz (Rockford, Ill.) tallied a season-high 26 assists, 5 digs and 2 service aces.
- Jennifer Quintas (Rockford, Ill.) led Rockford with 16 digs.
The RU women's volleyball team will be back in action on Saturday for its final two matches at the Northland College Tournament. The Regents open the day at 10 AM against Concordia University Chicago, and then play Silver Lake College at noon.