ASHFORD, Wis. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (0-6) fell in straight sets on Friday to the St. Catherine University Wildcats (2-0). It was the first of four matches the ladies will play at the Northland College Tournament over a two-day span. Rockford played extremely well in the opening set before the Wildcats rallied late to take a 1-0 lead. Unfortunately things did not go Rockford's way for the remainder of the match, as St. Catherine took sets two and three to win the match.
St. Catherine University (25-18, 25-10, 25-10)
- Rockford stormed out of the gates strong in the first set scoring ten of the first fourteen points to grab a quick 10-4 lead.
- The Regents would extend their lead to as many as seven points at 14-7 before St. Catherine began to mount a comeback.
- The Wildcats then went on a 10-3 run to tie the set at 17-17. St. Catherine would finish the set strong to complete the comeback and take a 1-0 lead.
- The second set was also close in the opening moments with the two schools trading points. Unfortunately it was St. Catherine who took control with an 11-0 run midway through the set to take a commanding 19-7 advantage en route to grabbing a 2-0 lead.
- The third set belonged to the Wildcats, as they opened with a 17-3 run on their way to winning the match in straight sets.
- Emily Johannes (Eau Claire, Wis.) hit double-digit kills for the third time this season. Johannes led Rockford with 10 kills on 18 attack attempts for a .444 hitting percentage.
- Casey Sheetz (Rockford, Ill.) finished with a team-high 10 assists.
The RU women's volleyball team returns to the court later this afternoon against host Northland College. The match has a scheduled start time of 5:00 PM.