LISLE, Ill. - The Rockford University track and field teams competed at the NACC Outdoor Championships on Friday and Saturday. The RU women's team finished eighth with 21 points and the men's team placed ninth with 37 points. Sophomore Kaylynne Terry (Streator, Ill.) was the top female performer for the Regents. Terry won the shot put for the second straight year and the fourth time overall in her four combined appearances at the NACC Indoor and Outdoor Championships. Tommy Brown (Plano, Ill.) had the highest finish of any RU male with his second place performance in the shot put.
Top Women's Results
- Kaylynne Terry once again stole the show with a pair of top four finishes over the weekend. Terry won the shot put for the second straight year at the NACC Outdoor Championships with a throw of 12.72 meters. She has now won the shot put in all four NACC Championships that she has competed in over the past two seasons. Terry also placed fourth in the hammer throw with a distance of 41.94 meters. Her fourth place finish is her highest ever in the hammer thrown at the conference championships.
- Maddy Pearson (Peru, Ill.) set a pair of personal bests and broke one school record at the NACC Championships. Pearson's top performance came in the javelin throw, where she finished sixth and broke the school record with a distance of 29.43 meters. She also set a new personal best in the shot put with a throw of 9.39 meters to place thirteenth. She then wrapped up her weekend with a 15th place finish in the hammer and a 22nd place finish in the discus with respective distances of 32.02 meters and 23.21 meters.
- Alyssa Ashford (Springfield, Ill.) participated in a trio of individual events and broke one school record. Ashford broke the school record and finished ninth in the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 17.32 seconds. She also finished 11th in the 100 meter dash with a time of 13.81 seconds and 18th in the long jump with a personal best distance of 4.22 meters.
- Katrina Kopfhamer (Portage, Wis.) also competed in three events and set one new personal best. Kopfhamer finished ninth in the hammer throw with a distance of 37.90 meters, 12th in the discus with a distance of 29.60 meters and 14th in the shot put with a personal best distance of 9.34 meters.
- Della Crain (Lena, Ill.) ran in a pair of races for the Regents. Crain finished 16th in the 400 meter and 25th in the 200 meter with respective times of 1:10.84 and 30.68 seconds.
- Rockford's 4x100 meter relay team of Alyssa Ashford, Maddy Pearson, Danni Hanson (Machesney Park, Ill.) and Virginia Reed (Rockford, Ill.) crossed the finish line in 58.30 seconds for an eighth place finish.
Top Men's Results
- Tommy Brown competed in four events and had the highest overall finish of any RU male athlete this weekend. Brown finished second in the shot put with a distance of 13.46 meters. Brown also scored points in the hammer throw, finishing fifth with a distance of 38.41 meters. He then finished 14th in the discus with a personal best throw of 34.70 meters and 20th in the javelin with a distance of 26.01 meters.
- Senior Jared Johnson (Miami, Fla.) scored points in all four of his events. Johnson finished fourth in the hammer throw and broke the RU school record with a distance of 41.52 meters. He also finished fourth in the shot put with throw of 12.76 meters. Johnson then set a new personal best and finished sixth in the javelin with a distance of 40.38 meters. He wrapped up his day with a seventh place finish in the discus with a throw of 37.45 meters.
- Senior Joe Werkheiser (Lena, Ill.) competed in four track events this weekend. Werkheiser's top finish came in the 400 meter race where he placed fifth with a time of 50.82 seconds. He also finished 11th in the 800 meter with a time of 2:04.57, 12th in the 1500 meter with a time of 4:26.15 and 14th in the 200 meter dash with a personal best time of 23.26 seconds.
- Carlos Flores (Elgin, Ill.) took part in the decathlon at the NACC Championships. The decathlon consists of ten different events with all of the participants receiving a combined score based on their performances in each event. Flores finished fifth overall scoring 2,283 points, with his highest finish in an individual event coming in the discus throw, where he placed third with a distance of 20.77 meters.
- Devon Lawrence (Loves Park, Ill.) set a new personal best in one of his four events at the conference championships. Lawrence finished 12th in the discus with a throw of 34.94 meters, 14th in the hammer with a throw of 32.95 meters, 14th in the javelin with a distance of 34.79 meters and 16th in the shot put with a personal best distance of 10.67 meters.
- Bilgehan Korkmaz (Konya, Turkey) set a pair of new personal bests in his two individual events. Korkmaz finished 18th in the 200 meter and 21st in the 100 meter dash with personal best times of 23.69 seconds and 11.78 seconds.
- Randy Stegenga (Hilversum, Netherlands) also set two new personal bests this weekend. Stegenga finished 11th in the triple jump with a personal best distance of 11.55 meters and 27th in the 200 meter dash with a personal best time of 24.55 seconds. Stegenga also finished 15th in the long jump with a distance of 5.75 meters.
- Rockford's 4x100 meter relay team of Emani Johnson (Channahon, Ill.), Quentin Hernandez (Calas, France), Bilgehan Korkmaz and Randy Stegenga finished eighth with a time of 45.80 seconds.
- The Regents' 4x400 meter relay team of Joe Werkheiser, Quentin Hernandez, Bilgehan Korkmaz and Randy Stegenga placed eighth with a time of 3:34.37.
The RU track and field teams return to competition next Thursday and Friday at the Dr. Keeler Invitational.