MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - The Rockford University women's soccer team (2-13-0) dropped a hard-fought match 3-0 to the UW-Superior Yellowjackets (5-10-1) on Friday afternoon. The final score is not at all indicative of just how close the match was. The Regents and Yellowjackets battled to a 0-0 draw for nearly the first 80 minutes of the match. Unfortunately UW-Superior erupted for a trio of goals in the closing moments en route to the 3-0 win.
- The first half of Friday's match was basically a statistical dead heat as the Regents and Yellowjackets entered halftime tied at 0-0. Although UW-Superior held a slim 6-3 edge in shots, the two schools were tied with 2 shots on goal each.
- Rockford's first scoring opportunity came in the eighth minute when Erin DiSanti (Rockford, Ill.) was credited with a shot on goal; however, UW-Superior was able to come up with the save to keep the match scoreless.
- The Regents next scoring change came in the twelfth minute when Cassandra Hernandez (Rockford, Ill.) tallied her first shot on goal in the match. Unfortunately once again the Yellowjackets were able to make the save and turn the Regents away.
- Rockford once again had a scoring opportunity early in the second half as Nancy Zuniga (Capron, Ill.) fired a shot at the UW-Superior goal. However Rockford again came up empty as the Yellowjackets were able to once again make the save to keep the match scoreless.
- UW-Superior took control of the match in the 80th minute when Sarah Fjeran scored a pair of goals to give her team a 2-0 lead.
- The Yellowjackets added one final goal in the 86th minute en route to the 3-0 win.
- Rockford goalie Samantha Bergeron (Mandeville, La.) played the entire 90 minutes and made five saves.
- Marion Adelson (Tournan-en-Brie, France) and Erin DiSanti led Rockford with two shots each.
The Rockford University women's soccer team returns to action on Sunday, October 21 at home against Lawrence University. The match has a scheduled start time of 3:00 PM at Sportscore Two. Be sure to join us on Sunday as the Regents will be honoring their four seniors prior to the start of the match.