FOND DU LAC, Wis. - The Rockford University women's basketball team (2-17, 2-13 NACC) entered Friday's game at Marian University (2-18, 2-13 NACC) hoping to complete the season sweep of the Sabres, after an 81-75 home win earlier in the year. Unfortunately, the Sabres were able to defend their home court, defeating the Regents 77-63. The game ultimately came down to Marian's hot-shooting. Although Rockford was able to make three more three-pointers, the Sabres connected on ten additional field goals, despite taking three less shots. The Sabres shot 46.4% (32-of-69) from the floor compared to 30.6% (22-of-72) shooting for the Regents.
- Rockford led for nearly the first three minutes of the game, after Nicole Silvers (Byron, Ill.) drained the Regents' first shot attempt of the day.
- However, the Sabres then scored the next nine points to jump out to a 9-2 lead.
- The Regents were able to cut the lead back down to four on two separate occasions. The first such occasion came off a Linzy Keller (Machesney Park, Ill.) made triple and the second following an Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) made layup.
- Unfortunately, Marian closed the quarter with an 8-4 run, to grab a 19-11 advantage after one period of play.
- Marian built its lead up to as many as 11 points in the second quarter, before Rockford made a push in the final minutes of the first half.
- With Marian leading 34-23 with exactly three minutes left in the first half, Rockford went on a 5-0 run over the next one minute and fifty-one seconds to pull back within six points.
- Once again however, the Sabres would score the final bucket of the quarter and take a 36-28 lead into the half.
- The second half did not get off to a good start, as Marian scored the first seven points, to take its largest lead thus far at 43-28.
- Marian led by as many as 19 points in the third, before Rockford made one final run late in the game.
- The Regents began the fourth quarter with an 18-10 run, to cut the Sabre lead back down to single-digits for the first time since opening minute of the third quarter.
- Unfortunately, the Sabres answered right back with a 6-2 run, to push their lead back to thirteen and seal the win.
- Linzy Keller scored in double-digits for the ninth time in the team's last twelve games. Keller finished with a team-high 19 points, including draining 4-of-5 from beyond the arc, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 block.
- Lexi Rangel (Prophetstown, Ill.) added 17 points, a team-high 9 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal.
- Nicole Silvers finished with 9 points, 6 rebounds, a team-high 6 assists and 1 steal.
- Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.) led the RU bench with 8 points and 7 rebounds.
The RU women's basketball team returns to the court on Saturday, February 2 at Benedictine University. Tip-off is set for 2 PM.