ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University women's basketball team (2-16, 2-12 NACC) honored its seniors on Saturday afternoon with an impressive 67-61 win over the Illinois Tech Scarlet Hawks (0-18, 0-14 NACC). The Regents outplayed the Scarlet Hawks on both ends of the court on Saturday. Rockford shot 40.9% from the floor compared to just 36.2% for Illinois Tech. The Regents also forced 23 turnovers and turned them into 16 points; whereas Illinois Tech turned the Regents over 13 times but were only able to convert them into five points. Rockford also outscored Illinois Tech 19-5 in bench points, 10-2 in fast break points and 32-28 in points in the paint.
- Illinois Tech scored the first seven points of the game including draining the game's opening three-point attempt to storm out to a 7-0 lead.
- Rockford answered right back with a 9-0 run over the next three minutes and 40 seconds to take its first lead of the game. A trio of Regents scored over that span, led by four points from Nicole Silvers (Byron, Ill.), three points from Lexi Rangel (Prophetstown, Ill.) and two points from Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.).
- After Illinois Tech briefly regained the lead at 10-9, the Regents closed the quarter strong and took a 13-12 lead after one period of play.
- Rockford came out strong in the second with a quick 5-1 run, capped off by a triple from Linzy Keller (Machesney Park, Ill.).
- The Scarlet Hawks were able to pull back within a single point with 40 seconds remaining in the first half.
- However, once again Rockford closed the quarter strong. Lexi Rangel hit back-to-back buckets in the final 25 seconds to give her team a 30-25 advantage heading into the half.
- Although the game was close for much of the second half, the Regents never trailed.
- Rockford's lead hovered around five points until Illinois Tech used a 4-0 run, capped off by a made layup with 2:41 left in the third to make it a one-point game.
- The Scarlet Hawks would eventually tie the game at 40-40 with just 30 seconds remaining in the third quarter.
- Fortunately, Rockford's Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) knocked down a triple in the closing seconds, to give her team a 43-40 advantage heading into the final period.
- The game began to shift in Rockford's favor early in the fourth quarter, as the Regents went on a 13-0 run to take a 56-43 lead. Four different Regents scored over that span, including six straight points from Nicole Silvers to close out the run.
- The Scarlet Hawks were able to get back within five on a couple of occasions, but Rockford went 5-for-6 at the free throw line down to the stretch, to seal the 67-61 win.
- Lexi Rangel led the Regents with a team-high 19 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals off the bench.
- Nicole Silvers finished with 18 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 block.
- Linzy Keller added 15 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals.
- Katlyn Fiorucci (Machesney Park, Ill.) tallied a career-high 9 rebounds to go along with a career-high 8 assists. Fiorucci also added 2 steals, 1 block, 1 point and 0 turnovers.
The Rockford University women's basketball team returns to the court on Wednesday, January 30 at Marian University. Tip-off is set for 7:00 PM.