MILWAUKEE, Wis. - The Rockford University women's basketball team (1-16, 1-12 NACC) once again played hard on Thursday evening, but came up short, falling 63-39 to the MSOE Raiders (10-8, 8-6 NACC). Although Rockford never led in the game, the Regents were able to stay within striking distance for the entire first half. The Regents trailed by just six points at the end of the first quarter, and eleven at the half. Unfortunately, the Raiders outscored Rockford 23-9 in the third en route to the victory.
- After falling behind 5-0 to start the game, Rockford scored five of the next seven points to pull back within two, at 7-5. Senior Linzy Keller (Machesney Park, Ill.) scored all five points, including draining Rockford's first three-pointer of the game.
- The Raiders' lead hovered around five points for the remainder of the quarter, until MSOE connected on a layup in the closing seconds, to take a 17-11 lead into the second.
- MSOE opened the second period with a 7-2 run to take an 11-point lead, the largest for either team in the first half.
- Rockford answered right back with a 7-1 run of its own, to cut the MSOE advantage back down to just five points with 51 seconds left in the second quarter. Three different Regents scored during the run, led by three points from junior Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.).
- The game seemed to turn over the next 51 seconds however, when MSOE connected on back-to-back threes to close out the half, and take a 31-20 lead into the break.
- MSOE then continued to build upon its momentum from the end of the first half, with a 17-4 run to start the third quarter.
- Rockford was never able to get back within twenty points and ultimately fell by a final score of 63-39.
- Linzy Keller led Rockford with 14 points on 4-for-9 shooting, including going 2-for-3 from beyond the arc and a perfect 4-for-4 at the free throw line. Keller also added 4 assists, 2 rebounds and 1 steal.
- Emily Cox added 10 points, 3 rebounds and 1 assist.
The RU women's basketball team returns to the court on Saturday, January 26 at home against Illinois Tech. Tip-off is set for 2:00 PM in the Seaver Center. In addition, Rockford will be honoring its two seniors prior to the start of Saturday's game.