MILWAUKEE, Wis. - The Rockford University women's basketball team (0-1) fell 72-62 in overtime to begin its season on Friday night against the Mount Mary University Blue Angels (1-0). The game was extremely close throughout, as there were eight ties and eleven lead changes. Ultimately the difference was Mount Mary's ability to knock down both shots and free throws in overtime. The Blue Angels connected on 3-of-4 shot attempts and 8-of-11 free throw attempts in OT, compared to 1-for-12 from the field and 1-for-2 from the free throw line for the Regents.
- The first quarter was extremely close with the largest lead coming in the opening moments after Rockford scored the first four points of the game. Katlyn Fiorucci (Machesney Park, Ill.) began the season by draining a three-pointer with Rockford's first shot attempt of the year. Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.) added a made free throw on the Regents' next possession to extend the lead to 4-0.
- The game went back and forth for the remainder of the quarter, with Rockford closing on a 4-0 run to take a 20-18 lead heading into the second.
- Rockford extended its lead to a game-high five points with 6:25 left in the first half with back-to-back made baskets by Lexi Rangel (Prophetstown, Ill.) and Linzy Keller (Machesney, Park, Ill.).
- However Mount Mary closed the half strong and tied the game at 29-29 with a made layup in the final minute.
- Rockford would twice extend its lead to a quarter-high four points in the third. The first time came after back-to-back made jumpers from Nicole Silvers (Byron, Ill.) and Lexi Rangel, and the other came just moments later following a Katlyn Fiorucci made layup. Unfortunately, Mount Mary closed the quarter on a 7-2 run to take a 45-43 lead into the fourth.
- The fourth quarter got off to a rocky start with Mount Mary opening on an 13-6 run to take what seemed to be a commanding 58-49 advantage with just 3:32 remaining.
- However the ladies never quit, scoring the final nine points of the second half to send the game into overtime. Nicole Silvers led the Rockford charge scoring four of the nine points during that span, including knocking down the game-tying jumper with 1:12 remaining. The Regents did have one final chance to win the game in regulation but unfortunately came up empty.
- The overtime period belonged to the Blue Angles as they opened on a 6-0 run and never looked back. The Regents were able to cut the Blue Angel lead down to three after a Linzy Keller made three-pointer, but could not get any closer, as Mount Mary closed with an 8-1 run, en route to a 72-62 victory.
- Linzy Keller led the Rockford offensive attack with a career-high 23 points, 9 rebounds and 3 steals.
- Nicole Silvers added 11 points, 6 rebounds and a team-high 4 steals.
- Lexi Rangel finished with 9 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists.
- Sammi Russell had 8 points and tied for the team-high with 9 rebounds.
The RU women's basketball team returns to the court on Saturday, November 17 at Eureka College. Tip-off is set for 2:00 PM.