MEQUON, Wis. - The Rockford University softball team (16-24, 6-16 NACC) wrapped up its season on Sunday afternoon when it traveled to take on the first place Concordia University Wisconsin Falcons (24-9, 19-3 NACC). The first game was a thriller as Rockford battled the regular season champs to nine innings. Unfortunately a big inning for the Falcons in the ninth would propel CUW above RU by a final score of 12-5 in game one. The Falcons would carry that momentum into game two as they knocked off the Regents by a final score of 6-3.
Game 1: Concordia Wisconsin 12 Rockford 5 (9 innings)
- The Falcons got out to a hot start as they opened up with three runs in the first to take the early lead.
- Rockford did not let up as it answered with two runs of its own in the bottom of the frame.
- Gretchen Schrubbe (Elgin, Ill.) did well to draw a walk before taking second on a wild pitch.
- One batter later Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) proceeded to draw a walk to give Dylan King (Constantine, Mich.) runners on first and second.
- King did well knocking a single into right field that would help score Schrubbe.
- Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) would ground out to the first allowing Cox to make it home safely to make it a 3-2 game.
- Concordia Wisconsin helped build some cushion as CUW earned one run in both the fourth and fifth inning to take a 5-2 lead.
- Rockford would not give up as another two-run inning in the bottom of the sixth put RU right back in the game.
- With two outs Destiny Darmon (Byron, Ill.) did well to get on base with a single down the right field line.
- Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.) recorded her first home run of the year at a crucial time, as she sent a two-run shot over the center field wall to make it a 5-4 game.
- The Regents were able to use the momentum from the sixth as they tied the game in the seventh to send it to extras.
- With two outs Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) and Cox each drew a walk. King would hit another RBI single to knot the game up at 5-5.
- Rylee Klema (Mendota, Ill.) did well to get three quick outs in the top of the eighth as she only allowed one hit on four batters.
- Unfortunately a Russell walk in the bottom of the frame was the only damage RU could produce.
- In the top of the ninth the Falcons proved why they are the NACC Regular Season Champions. CUW exploded for seven runs in top of the frame before Rockford was unable to put any more runs on the board.
- CUW would win in nine innings by a final score of 12-5.
Game 2: Concordia Wisconsin 6 Rockford 3
- The Falcons used their momentum from game one to jump out to an early 3-0 lead in the first inning of game two. CUW would add to its lead again in the top of the fourth with a two-run inning to take a 5-0 lead heading into the bottom of the frame.
- Rockford would not go down without a fight as the Regents got one back in the bottom of the fourth to make it 5-1.
- With one out Emily Cox singled through the right side to get things going.
- One batter later Brittany Bihun poked a single to right field to give RU runners on the corners. Darmon would proceed to wear a pitch to load the bases for the Regents.
- Sammi Russel did well staying patient at the plate as she drew a walk to bring Cox home.
- It did not take long for the Falcons to get that run back as they tacked on one run in the fifth. However, Rockford was right there with them as RU also tacked on a run to make it 6-2 heading into the sixth inning.
- With one out Gretchen Schrubbe drew a walk for the Regents.
- One batter later Cox smashed a double to left center that would bring Schrubbe home.
- Rockford was able to hold Concordia Wisconsin off the board the final two innings and attempted to mount a comeback in the bottom of the seventh.
- Unfortunately with two outs an Annaka Bartz solo blast to left field would be the only run RU could score as the Regents fell in their final game of the season 6-3.
- Dylan King finished 2-for-5 with 2 RBIs.
- Sammi Russell went 1-for-3 with a two-run home run.
- Destiny Darmon finished 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Emily Cox finished 2-for-4 with a double, an RBI and a run scored.
- Sammi Russell went 1-for-2 from the plate.
- Annaka Bartz logged a home run.
During this season RU softball recorded the most conference wins since 2014, and the most overall wins since 2009.
- Rylee Klema has tied the record for most appearances in the circle in a season with 37. Klema also records the most wins in the circle for a season since 2009 with 14. Klema finished her freshman campaign tossing 218.2 innings and striking out 110 batters.
- Emily Cox led the team in batting average (.415), slugging percentage (.538), on base percentage (.492), hits (44), walks (19) and was second on the team with three home runs on the year.
- Annaka Bartz finishes the season with a team-high 16 stolen bases, the most since two players had 17 back in 2011. Bartz also led the team in doubles (8), triples (2) and home runs (4).
- Dylan King led the team with 28 RBIs on the year.