MILWAUKEE, Wis. - The Rockford University softball team (16-22, 6-14 NACC) was swept, 7-0 and 10-1, on the road Friday afternoon by the MSOE Raiders (28-10, 16-4 NACC). Rockford fell behind early in both games, as MSOE took a 2-0 lead after the first inning. The Raiders added two more runs in the third and three in the sixth to take game one by a final score of 7-0. Game two followed a similar pattern after the first inning, as MSOE scored six in the third and two in the fourth to win the nightcap 10-1.
MSOE 7 Rockford 0
- MSOE took a quick 2-0 lead with two runs off two hits in the bottom of the first inning.
- The Regents' first scoring opportunity came in the top of the third inning. Gretchen Schrubbe (Elgin, Ill.) laced a double down the right field line to put herself in scoring position with just one out. Unfortunately, the Raiders struck out the next two batters to end the inning and maintain their 2-0 lead.
- The Raiders then promptly scored a pair of runs in the bottom of the third to extend their lead to 4-0.
- Rockford had another good scoring opportunity in the sixth, when the Regents loaded the bases with two outs. Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) got things started with a one-out single to right. Two batters later, Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) singled to right and Destiny Darmon (Byron, Ill.) walked to load the bases. However, once again, the Raiders were able to strike out the next batter to wiggle out of the jam.
- MSOE then put the game out of reach with three runs in the bottom half of the inning en route to a 7-0 win.
MSOE 10 Rockford 1
- The Raiders scored a pair of runs off three hits to take a 2-0 lead after one inning of play.
- Rockford did have a chance to answer back in the top of the second inning. Brittany Bihun began the inning with a leadoff single to right center field. After a bunt moved Bihun to second, Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.) singled to center to put runners on the corners with one out. Unfortunately, MSOE struck out the next two batters and escaped without allowing a run.
- Things took a turn for the worse in the bottom of the third inning. The Raiders scored six runs off seven hits to leap out to a commanding 8-0 lead.
- The Regents were able to score a single run off two hits in the top of the fourth. Dylan King (Constantine, Mich.) got the inning started with a leadoff double to center field. Three batters later, Sammi Russell drove in King with a two-out RBI single to left field.
- Unfortunately, MSOE answered with two runs in the bottom half of the inning en route to a 10-1 win.
- Sammi Russell was 2-for-2 with an RBI.
- Dylan King finished 1-for-2 with a double and a run scored.
- Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) was 1-for-2.
- Brittany Bihun went 1-for-2.
The RU softball team concludes its season on Sunday, April 28 against Concordia University Wisconsin. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for 2 PM at the Smith Athletic Field.