LOVES PARK, Ill. - The Rockford University softball team (16-20, 6-12 NACC) hosted the Concordia University Chicago Cougars (19-12, 9-8 NACC) on Tuesday evening. Rockford struck first in both games but was eventually edged out as RU fell by a final score of 6-1 in game one, before dropping game two by a final of 4-2.
Game 1: Concordia Chicago 6 Rockford 1
- Rockford got out to a strong first inning to take an early 1-0 lead to start the game.
- Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) got the Regents going with a lead-off double to center field. One batter latter Bartz would find herself on third with Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) stepping to the plate.
- Cox did well to rip a single out into right field to give Rockford a 1-0 lead as Bartz trotted to home plate.
- Unfortunately, RU ended the inning stranding two of its runners on the corners.
- Despite the strong start the Cougars rang up six unanswered runs as CUC tallied one in the third and fourth, and two runs in the fifth and sixth.
- Rockford was not able to get back into the game as RU fell by a final score of 6-1.
Game 2: Concordia Chicago 4 Rockford 2
- It was Rockford again who struck first in game two, getting out to an early 1-0 lead.
- A Bartz walk and Destiny Darmon (Byron, Ill.) wearing a pitch would give RU runners on first and second with no outs.
- One batter later Dylan King (Constantine, Mich.) smacked one back up the middle to help load the bases.
- With two outs Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) stayed calm at the plate to draw the walk and bring Bartz home. Unfortunately the Regents were unable to bring any more runners' home as CUC got out of a bases loaded situation.
- The Cougars answered immediately in the top of the second after a triple and some errors allowed CUC to go up 2-1.
- Rockford was able to get one back two innings later to tie the game up at 2-2.
- Brittany Bihun did well by drawing a walk to start the inning for the Regents.
- One batter later Allison Kaiser (South Elgin, Ill.) did well by singling to center field.
- After Rylee Klema (Mendota, Ill.) was able to reach on a sac bunt due to an error, allowing the runners to race around the bases as RU managed to score one, tying the game heading into the fifth.
- Unfortunately an error in the sixth would put the Cougars back on top 3-2 heading into the bottom of the frame. Concordia Chicago tacked on another run in the seventh to lengthen its lead to 4-2.
- The Regents were not able to mount a comeback as they fell in game two 4-2.
- Emily Cox led the way going 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- Dylan King finished 2-for-3 from the plate.
- Annaka Bartz, Destiny Darmon and McCathran Andrew (Rockford, Ill.) all logged a hit in game one. Bartz also notched a double.
- Dylan King led the way in game two going 2-for-3 with a double.
- Brittany Bihun recorded an RBI and a run scored.
- Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.) and Allison Kaiser each tallied a hit.
The Rockford University softball team returns to action on Friday, April 26 when it travels to take on MSOE. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for 3 PM.