LOVES PARK, Ill. - The Rockford University softball team (16-18, 6-10 NACC) hosted the Alverno College Inferno (10-24, 1-17 NACC) on a rainy Monday evening. The two teams split as the Regents went off for a 9-5 win in game one before falling by a final score of 11-2 in game two.
Game 1: Rockford 9 Alverno 5
- Alverno opened the scoring right out of the gate jumping out to a 2-0 lead to start the game.
- Rockford answered right back with a pair of runs of their own to tie the game at 2-2 heading into the second.
- With one out Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) knocked a single back up the middle before stealing second.
- Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) proceeded to take matters into her own hands as she smashed a home run to knot the game up.
- Alverno got a run back in the third to regain the lead, but not before the Regents would answer again, this time for a three-run inning.
- With one out, Bartz found herself on third after some errors. It was Cox who brought Bartz home again with a base hit, while Cox advanced to second on error.
- Dylan King (Constantine, Mich.) proceeded to knock a single to give RU runners on the corners, before King stole second.
- One batter later Destiny Darmon (Byron, Ill.) laced a single up the middle to bring Cox and King home to give RU the 5-3 lead.
- Rockford tacked on one more in the fourth to increase its lead to 6-3.
- McCathran Andrew (Rockford, Ill.) started out with a double to right field. Andrew would eventually score on a throwing error.
- In the sixth inning with two outs, Andrew managed to reach on an error before ending at third.
- A double to center by Gretchen Schrubbe (Elgin, Ill.) helped tack on another run for Rockford. Bartz followed up with a two-run home run to give Rockford a 9-3 lead heading into the final inning.
- The inferno managed to score two more runs, but it would not be enough as the Regents held on for the 9-5 victory.
Game 2: Alverno 11 Rockford 2
- It was a different story in game two as Alverno jumped out to an early 4-0 lead after one run in the first and three in the second.
- The Inferno did not stop there as they added on three more in the fourth to take a commanding 7-0 lead heading into the bottom of the frame.
- Rockford managed to get a pair of runs back in the bottom of the fourth to make it a 7-2 game.
- With Annaka Bartz drawing a walk it would be Emily Cox again to get the Regents on the scoreboard as she homered for the second time on the day.
- Unfortunately RU could not get much going as Alverno added one run in the sixth before adding three more in the seventh to go on a win by a final score of 11-2.
- Annaka Bartz finished 2-for-4 with a home run, 3 runs scored and 2 RBIs.
- Emily Cox was the other Regent with a home run as she went 1-for-3, 2 runs scored and 3 RBIs.
- Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) finished 2-for-3.
- Destiny Darmon went 1-for-3 with 2 RBIs.
- Rylee Klema (Mendota, Ill.) struck out 7 batters.
- Emily Cox was a perfect 3-for-3 with a home run, 2 RBIs and a run scored.
- Destiny Darmon finished 1-for-2 at the plate.
The Rockford University softball team gets right back to action as it hosts Concordia Chicago on Tuesday, April 23. First pitch of the double header is set for 4 PM at Sportscore Two.