ROSEMONT, Ill. - The Rockford University softball team (12-16, 2-8 NACC) came up short, 6-1 and 3-1, in a pair of road contests to the Dominican University Stars (16-12, 7-5 NACC). The Stars used a two-run second and a three-run fourth, to lift themselves to a 6-1 win in the opener. Game two was tight throughout, as neither team led by more than a run for the first five and a half innings. Unfortunately, Dominican plated a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth en route to a 3-1 victory.
Dominican University 6 Rockford University 1
- The opener got off to a good start with Rockford scoring a run in the top of the first inning. Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) and Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) began the game with a single and a walk to put runners on first and second with no one out. One batter later, Rockford would take advantage of a Dominican miscue and grab an early 1-0 lead. The Regents continued to put pressure on Stars, using a pair of walks from Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) and Destiny Darmon (Byron, Ill.) to load the bases with two outs. Unfortunately, the Stars retired the final batter of the inning, to limit the damage to a single run.
- Dominican responded with a run of its own in the bottom half of the frame to tie the game.
- The Stars then used a two-run second and a three-run fourth to take a commanding 6-1 advantage.
- Rockford did however have chances to score in both the third and sixth innings. The Regents loaded the bases in the third with two outs following a pair of walks and a Brittany Bihun single. However, Dominican struck out the next batter to end the inning. In the sixth, Rockford had runners on first and second with one out following a Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.) walk and an Allison Kaiser (South Elgin, Ill.) single. Unfortunately, Dominican again wiggled out of the jam and went on to win by a final score of 6-1.
Dominican University 3 Rockford University 1
- Game two was scoreless until the Regents took a 1-0 lead in the top of the fourth. Emily Cox crushed a double to center field to begin the inning. Two batters later, Brittany Bihun singled through the left side of the infield to give her team its first lead of the game.
- Rockford's lead was short lived though, as Dominican answered with a run in the bottom half of the inning to tie the game.
- The game remained tied until the bottom of the sixth, when the Stars scored two runs off three hits to jump out in front 3-1.
- Rockford was unable to string anything together in the top of the seventh, as the Regents fell by a final score of 3-1.
- Emily Cox was a perfect 3-for-3 with a double and a run scored.
- Brittany Bihun went 1-for-3 with an RBI.
- Rylee Klema (Mendota, Ill.) threw her 19th complete game of the season. Klema went all six innings, allowing three runs off seven hits and striking out one.
The Rockford University softball team returns to the diamond on Monday, April 15 at home against Concordia University Chicago. First pitch is set for 4 PM at Sportscore Two.