FOND DU LAC, Wis. - The Rockford University softball team (12-14, 2-6 NACC) fell 4-1 and 10-0 on road Monday to the defending NACC Champion Marian University Sabres (13-9, 5-3 NACC). The Regents played well for large portions of the games, but unfortunately, the Sabres used a few big innings to secure the regular season series sweep. Game one was very close throughout as Rockford led 1-0 early on; however, the Sabres used a three-run inning en route to securing a 4-1 win. In game two, Marian used a six-run third to propel themselves to a 10-0 victory.
Marian University 4 Rockford University 1
- Rockford got off to an excellent start in the opener with a single run in the top of the first inning. Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) and Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) led off the game with back-to-back singles to put runners on the corners with no one out. One batter later, Gretchen Schrubbe (Elgin, Ill.) knocked in the first run of the game with an RBI single back up the middle, to give the Regents a quick 1-0 lead. Unfortunately, the Sabres were able to retire the next three batters to limit the damage to just a single run.
- Marian then responded with three runs off three hits in the bottom half of the inning to take its first lead of the game at 3-1.
- The Regents did have a chance to cut into the Marian lead in the top of the second inning. Destiny Darmon (Byron, Ill.) and Emily Cox both worked the count and drew walks to put runners on first and second with two outs. However, the Sabres were able to retire the next batter to maintain their three-run lead.
- The scored remained the same until the bottom of the fourth, when Marian added a single run off two hits to extend its lead to 4-1.
- Rockford had one final chance in the fifth to possibly tie the game or retake the lead. Emily Cox and Annaka Bartz began the inning with a single and a walk to put runners on first and second with no one out. Two batters later, the Regents would take advantage of a Marian error to load the bases with just one out. Unfortunately, once again the Sabres were able to wiggle out of the jam and hold the Regents without a run.
- The Regents then went down in order in each of the final two innings, as Marian took game one by a final score of 4-1.
Marian University 10 Rockford University 0
- The nightcap did not go well for the Regents as the Sabres were in control most of the game.
- Marian opened with two runs in the first and one in the second to grab an early 3-0 lead.
- The Sabres would then put the game away with a six-run third inning en route to a 10-0 victory.
- Emily Cox led the Rockford offensive attack. Cox finished 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Gretchen Schrubbe was 1-for-3 with an RBI.
- Annaka Bartz went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Rylee Klema (Mendota, Ill.) threw her 17th complete game of the season. Klema went all six innings, allowing four runs and striking out two.
- Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) was 1-for-2.
- Destiny Darmon went 1-for-2.
- McCathran Andrew (Rockford, Ill.) finished 1-for-1.
The Rockford University softball team returns to the diamond on Saturday, April 13 at Dominican University. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for 4 PM.