ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University softball team (12-12, 2-4 NACC) fell in two close contests to the Wisconsin Lutheran College Warriors (13-7, 4-4 NACC) on Saturday afternoon. Rockford was edged out in game one 2-0 before losing the lead in game two to fall 6-3.
Game 1: Wisconsin Lutheran 2 Rockford 0
- It was a quick game one as each pitcher did well to keep the opposing offenses at bay.
- The Warriors would break the scoreless tie in the fourth as they took a 1-0 lead. WLC would tack one more on in the seventh to take a 2-0 lead.
- Rockford struggled to get much going at the plate as the Regents only earned one hit through the first six innings.
- RU had a chance in the bottom of the seventh as Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) hit a single with one out to try and mount a comeback.
- Dylan King (Constantine, Mich.) did well to give Rockford two runners on after a single through the right side.
- Destiny Darmon (Byron, Ill.) did her part laying down a sacrifice bunt to advance the runners to second and third. Unfortunately Rockford would leave the two runners stranded as the Regents fell to the Warriors in game one 2-0.
Game 2: Wisconsin Lutheran 6 Rockford 3
- Game two was much different than the first as both teams got on the board quick. WLC opened the game up taking the early 1-0 lead.
- The Regents did well to rebound and answer back with a quick three-run inning.
- Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) got things started as she laced a single through the right side. Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) followed by smashing a double to left to give RU runners on second and third.
- One batter later Brittany Bihun knocked one back up the middle scoring both runners.
- Darmon remained patient at the plate earning a walk and loading the bases for RU. Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.) proceeded to hit a sac fly to center to bring King home and give RU the 3-1 lead heading into the second.
- It would not be until the top of the fifth that the Warriors would get a run back finding themselves down just 3-2. In the very next inning WLC went off for four runs to regain the lead at 6-3.
- The Regents tried to mount a late game comeback in the seventh as Bartz, Cox and Gretchen Schrubbe (Elgin, Ill.) all singled to load the bases for the Regents. Unfortunately a double play and a fly out would end the RU comeback as WLC took game two by a final score of 6-3.
- Rylee Klema pitched well in the circle throwing a complete game and striking out 4 batters while only allowing 2 runs.
- Annaka Bartz, Brittany Bihun and Dylan King each logged a hit in the game.
- Annaka Bartz went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Emily Cox finished 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- Brittany Bihun logged a double, 2 RBIs and a run scored.
- Dylan King went 2-for-3.
The Rockford University softball team returns to action on Sunday, March 7 when it travels to Marian. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for noon.