ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University softball team (12-10) swept the Mount Mary University Blue Angels (4-13) on Friday afternoon. Down one each game the Regents rallied back taking game one by a final score of 3-1 before cruising to a 10-2 win in game two.
Game 1: Rockford 3 Mount Mary 1
- The Blue Angels struck first taking an early 1-0 lead in the second.
- Rockford finally got the bats going in the bottom of the third as RU scored two-runs to take the lead.
- Rylee Klema (Mendota, Ill.) started things off by drawing a walk before Karyssa Myhres (South Beloit, Ill.) singled right back up the middle.
- Shannon LeGath (Mount Pleasant, Wis.) executed a perfect sacrifice bunt to advance each runner.
- With one out Gretchen Schrubbe (Elgin, Ill.) and Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) each knocked a single to score a run.
- In the very next inning Dylan King (Constantine, Mich.) stepped up to the plate and cranked a homerun over a deep fence in left center to give the Regents a 3-1 lead.
- Mount Mary gave RU a scare in the top of the fifth but Dylan King did well in the circle to strand both of the Blue Angel runners.
- Rockford would hold on for the 3-1 win in game one.
Game 2: Rockford 10 Mount Mary 2
- Game two started out similar to the first, as Mount Mary struck early taking a 1-0 lead into the bottom of the first.
- This time the Regents responded much quicker with a three-run inning in the bottom of the frame.
- With one out Annaka Bartz ripped a double to center field. Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) would then double down the right field line to score Bartz.
- One batter later King singled to short and Cox was able to make it home off of a throwing error.
- Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.) did well to move King as she singled to left field with two outs. Allison Kaiser (South Elgin, Ill.) brought the final run of the inning home as she singled to right.
- Rockford would pick up right where it left off going for three more runs in the bottom of the second to take a 6-1 lead.
- Grace Vandiver (Bridgeport, Ill.) got things started with a base hit to the pitcher. A fielder's choice for Schrubbe would bring Bartz up to bat with one out and a runner on first.
- Bartz smacked another double this time to left field, giving RU runners on second and third.
- The bases would be loaded after Cox drew a walk. A wild pitch would move each runner and bring home Schrubbe.
- Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) proceeded to walk to again load the bases. King poked a double down the right field line to help increase the lead to 6-1.
- Sammi Russell did well in the circle through the first four innings as she allowed just two runs and struck out two batters.
- Rockford finally put the game away in the bottom of the sixth with a four-run inning.
- With one out Bartz singled to short before stealing second on the next play.
- A Cox and Bihun single would proceed to load the bases for the Regents.
- After a runner was called for leaving early King hit an RBI single to left center. A pass ball and errors would allow the Regents to race around the bases and eventually end the game in six with a final score of 10-2.
- Dylan King improved to 1-0 in the circle on the season as she gave up just one run. King also got it done at the plate hitting her first homerun of the year.
- Gretchen Schrubbe finished 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- Sammi Russell earned her first win in the circle on the year pitching four innings. Russell also went 1-for-2 at the plate.
- Rylee Klema did well stepping in for the final two innings giving up just two hits and striking out three batters.
- Dylan King went a perfect 4-for-4 including a double, while tacking on 3 RBIs and 2 runs scored.
- Annaka Bartz finished 3-for-4 with two doubles and 3 runs scored.
- Emily Cox went 2-for-3 including a double, while adding 2 runs scored and an RBI.
- Brittany Bihun finished 2-for-3 with a double.
The Rockford University softball team gets right back to action on Saturday, March 6 when it hosts Wisconsin Lutheran. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for noon.