LOVES PARK, Ill. - The Rockford University softball team (10-10, 2-2 NACC) hosted a tough Benedictine University Eagles team (14-2, 4-0 NACC) on Sunday afternoon. Rockford's late comeback in game one fell short as the Regents dropped to the Eagles 9-5. Benedictine went on to take game two by a final score of 12-0.
Game 1: Benedictine 9 Rockford 5
- Rockford got on the board first in game one after a one-run first inning.
- Gretchen Schrubbe (Elgin, Ill.) started things off with a base hit to left field. Next Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) smashed a triple into right center to give the Regents the early 1-0 lead.
- The Eagles would remain scoreless until the top of the fourth where they strung together two runs to take the lead. Benedictine added one more in the fifth to make it a 3-1 lead.
- Rockford would not give up as they immediately answered in the bottom of the frame.
- It was Schrubbe again who got it going with another single to left.
- This time Annaka Bartz stepped up big time cranking a home run well past the fence to tie the game at 3-3.
- The Eagles would not go away quietly as they quickly silenced the Regents scoring two runs in the sixth before tacking on four more in the seventh to take the 9-3 lead.
- Rockford did not go down without a fight as Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) and Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) each drew a walk with one out.
- One batter later Destiny Darmon (Byron, Ill.) remained patient at the plate to load the bases for Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.).
- Russell knocked a base hit into left center which would be good enough to bring Cox and Bihun home. Unfortunately the Regents left the two base runners stranded as they fell to Benedictine 9-5 in game one.
Game 2: Benedictine 12 Rockford 0
- The Eagles used their momentum from game one picking up right where they left off with a three-run first inning.
- Benedictine proceeded to tack on two more runs in the third and fourth inning before going off for five more in the seventh to win the game 12-0.
- Unfortunately the Regents were not able to get much of anything going offensively in game two. Megan Fast of Benedictine was impressive in the circle tossing all seven innings only giving up two hits and allowing one walk.
- Annaka Bartz led the way going 2-for-4 with a home run and a triple. Bartz also tallied 3 RBIs and a run scored.
- Gretchen Schrubbe finished 2-for-4 with 2 runs scored.
- Rylee Klema (Mendota, Ill.), Sammi Russell and Emily Cox each registered a hit, while Klema logged a double.
The Rockford University softball team returns to action on Friday, April 5 when it hosts Mount Mary. First pitch is set for 3 PM.