EUREKA, Ill. - The Rockford University softball team (6-8) dropped its first road doubleheader of the season on Tuesday afternoon to the Eureka College Red Devils (4-2). Rockford fell 9-1 in game one before dropping the nightcap 11-3.
Eureka College 9 Rockford University 1
- Despite what the final score might indicate, the opener was very close until the final inning.
- Rockford had a chance to strike first in the top of the first inning. Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) got things started with a one-out single back up the middle. Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) then reached base on a fielder's choice, before stealing second to put herself in scoring position with two outs. However, the Red Devils struck out the next batter to end the inning.
- Eureka then then took the lead with a single run off four hits in the bottom half of the inning to grab an early 1-0 lead.
- The Red Devils added two more runs in the bottom of the second off four hits and one Regent error to extend their lead to 3-0.
- Rockford would cut into the Red Devil lead with a single run of its own in the top of the fourth.
- Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.) drew a one-out walk, followed by a Dylan King (Constantine, Mich.) single to put runners on first and second. Two batters later, Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.) drove in Cox with an RBI single to make it a 3-1 game.
- The Red Devils answered back with a solo home run in the bottom of the inning to extend their lead back to three runs at 4-1.
- Unfortunately, the Red Devils would then put the game out of reach with five runs in the bottom of the fifth en route to a 9-1 win in game one.
Eureka College 11 Rockford University 3
- The Red Devil offense exploded for eight runs in the first two innings of game two to take a quick 8-0 lead.
- Eureka scored four runs in the first off six hits and then added four more runs in the second off four hits and one Rockford error.
- The Regents would not go away quietly though, as Rockford struck for a trio of runs in the top of the third inning.
- Rockford loaded the bases with one out off back-to-back walks and an Annaka Bartz single into the left field. One batter later, Emily Cox drove in the first run of the inning with an RBI groundout. The Regents would tack on two more runs thanks to a Red Devil error, to pull back within five at 8-3.
- Unfortunately, Eureka responded with two runs in the bottom of the third and one in the fourth en route to the 11-3 win.
- Gretchen Schrubbe (Elgin, Ill.) went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Sammi Russell was 1-for-2 with an RBI.
- Dylan King was also 1-for-2.
- Annaka Bartz finished 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- Destiny Darmon went 1-for-2 with a double.
- McCathran Andrew (Rockford, Ill.) was 1-for-2.
The Rockford University softball team returns to the diamond on Thursday, March 28 at Beloit College. First pitch is set for 3:00 PM.