DUBUQUE, Iowa - The Rockford University outdoor track and field teams had an excellent showing today at the Good Friday Open hosted by the University of Dubuque. The RU men's team finished seventh with 28 points and the women's team finished tied for sixth with 22 points. Individually, Rockford had numerous student-athletes set one or more personal records, including Alyssa Ashford (Springfield, Ill.) who established the school record in the pole vault.
Top Men's Results
- Tommy Brown (Plano, Ill.) participated in four events and had the highest finish of any Regent on Friday. Brown finished second in the shot put with a throw of 13.50 meters. He also set new personal bests in the discus, hammer and javelin throw events. Brown placed 13th in the discus and 28th in the javelin with throws of 33.91 meters and 28.10 meters. He then finished 12th in the hammer throw with a distance of 38.53 meters, which was the 5th farthest throw in the NACC this season.
- Devon Lawrence (Loves Park, Ill.) also took part in four throwing events. Lawrence's top finish came in the javelin where he placed fifth with a throw of 35.35 meters. He finished 14th in the shot put, 15th in the discus and 16th in the hammer with respective throws of 10.26 meters, 32.97 meters and 34.13 meters.
- Joe Werkheiser (Lena, Ill.) ran in the 200 meter and 800 meter races. Werkheiser finished sixth in the 800 meter and crossed the finish line in 2:03.73. He then finished 15th and set a new personal best in the 200 meter race with a time of 23.37 seconds.
- Randy Stegenga (Hilversum, Netherlands) set a pair of personal bests on Friday. Stegenga finished sixth in the long jump with a distance of 5.95 meters and 23rd in the 200 meter with a time of 24.74 seconds.
- Jared Johnson (Miami, Fla.) competed in a trio of field events. Johnson finished sixth in the discus with a throw of 41.15 meters, 12th in the shot put with a throw of 10.63 meters and 13th in the hammer with a throw of 37.70 meters.
- Rockford's 4x100 meter relay team of Emani Johnson (Channahon, Ill.), Quentin Hernandez (Calas, France), Bilgehan Korkmaz (Konya, Turkey) and Randy Stegenga finished 6th with a time of 47.64 seconds.
Top Women's Results
- Kaylynne Terry (Streator, Ill.) had the highest finish of any RU female athlete on Friday. Terry placed third in the shot put with a distance of 12.54 meters. She also finished seventh in the discus and 12th in the hammer with throws of 31.38 meters and 32.86 meters.
- Alyssa Ashford competed in five events and established one school record. Ashford finished seventh and established the school record in the pole vault with a height of 2.17 meters. Her mark was the ninth best in the NACC so far this season. She also set new personal bests in both the 200 meter and 400 meter races. Ashford finished eighth in the 400 meter and 17th in the 200 meter with times of 1:12.52 and 29.18 seconds. However, her highest finish of the day came in the 100 meter hurdles, where she placed sixth with a time of 20.31 seconds.
- Maddy Pearson (Peru, Ill.) had a pair of top eleven finishes for Rockford. Pearson placed fourth in the javelin with a distance of 27.45 meters. Her throw was also the 11th best in the NACC so far this season. Pearson then finished 11th in the hammer with a distance of 35.04 meters.
- Katrina Kopfhamer (Portage, Wis.) participated in a trio of events. Kopfhamer finished ninth and set a new personal best in the discus with a throw of 31.60 meters. She also finished ninth in the hammer and 16th in the shot put with distances of 39.28 meters and 8.61 meters.
The Rockford University track and field teams return to competition next Saturday, April 27 at the Beloit Relays.