ROCK ISLAND, Ill. - The Rockford University outdoor track and field teams began their seasons on Saturday at the highly-competitive Viking Olympics. The meet featured over twenty schools with Rockford finishing 22nd out of 28 teams on the men's side but not recording a team score on the women's side. Senior Jared Johnson (Miami, Fla.) stole the show on Saturday. Johnson broke a pair of school records in the discus and hammer throw events. Tommy Brown (Plano, Ill.) had an excellent day as well, tying Johnson's school record in the shot put.
Top Men's Results
- Jared Johnson was simply remarkable, breaking two school records in his three events. Johnson destroyed the school record by over three meters in the discus and placed 14th with a throw of 42.10 meters. He also broke his own school record in the hammer throw with a distance of 39.44 meters to finish in 17th place. The senior then concluded his day with a 14th place finish in the javelin throw with a distance of 32.75 meters.
- Tommy Brown also a nice day for the Regents. Brown finished seventh in the shot put and tied the RU record with a throw of 13.64 meters. He also finished 35th in the hammer throw with a distance of 30.75 meters.
- Joe Werkheiser (Lena, Ill.) tallied a top ten finish on Saturday. Werkheiser placed tenth in the 400 meter race with a time of 51.98 seconds.
- Devon Lawrence (Loves Park, Ill.) participated in a trio of field events. Lawrence finished 15th in the javelin throw with a distance of 31.02 meters. He also placed 36th in the discus and 47th in the hammer with respective distances of 31.80 meters and 25.54 meters.
- Bilgehan Korkmaz (Konya, Turkey) was the top performer for Rockford in both the 100 meter and 200 meter races. Korkmaz finished 47th in the 100 meter and 57th in the 200 meter with times of 12.02 seconds and 24.78 seconds.
- Rockford's 4x400 meter relay team of Joe Werkheiser, Bilgehan Korkmaz, Quentin Hernandez (Calas, France) and Carlos Flores (Elgin, Ill.) finished tenth with a time of 3:53.70.
Top Women's Results
- Alyssa Ashford (Springfield, Ill.) finished 13th in a pair of events on Saturday. Ashford finished 13th in the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 18.58 seconds and 13th in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 1:19.57.
- Kaylynne Terry (Streator, Ill.) took part in a trio of field events. Terry finished 14th in the shot put with a throw of 11.46 meters. She also finished 25th in the hammer and 26th in the discus with respective throws of 36.02 meters and 34.01 meters.
- Maddy Pearson (Peru, Ill.) finished 14th in the javelin with a throw of 26.71 meters. She also finished 43rd in the hammer with a distance of 32.59 meters.
- Katrina Kopfhamer (Portage, Wis.) finished 38th in the hammer with a throw of 33.17 meters.
The RU track and field teams return to action on Saturday, April 6 at the Benedictine University Duals.