BLOOMINGTON, Ill. - Both the Rockford University men's and women's indoor track and field teams kicked off their 2018-19 seasons on Saturday at the highly-competitive Titan First Chance Meet. Since it was a non-scoring meet, there were no team scores, but Rockford did still have some excellent individual performances. The Regents set multiple personal bests, established school one record and broke another.
- Joe Werkheiser (Lena, Ill.) was the top performer for the men's team on Saturday. Werkheiser finished 12th in the 300 meter dash and established the RU school record with a time of 37.80 seconds. He also set a personal best in the 600 meter race when he crossed the finish line in 1:30.02 to place sixteenth.
- Cristan Newton (Shreveport, La.) finished 17th in the mile run with a time of 5:10.40.
- Carlos Flores (Elgin, Ill.) took 23rd in the 300 meter race with a time of 40.28 seconds.
- Devon Lawrence (Loves Park, Ill.) was the top performer in the field events for the men's team. Lawrence finished 16th in the shot put with a throw of 10.66 meters.
- Alex Evitts (Aurora, Ill.) placed 20th in the shot put with a distance of 9.40 meters.
- Katrina Kopfhamer (Portage, Wis.) had a pair of excellent performances in the field events for women's team. Kopfhamer placed 8th and set a personal best in the weight throw with a distance of 13.09 meters. She also finished 16th in the shot put with a personal best throw of 9.18 meters.
- Alyssa Ashford (Springfield, Ill.) finished 19th in the 60 meter hurdles and broke the school record with a time of 10.6H seconds. She also finished 33rd in the 200 meter dash with a time of 30.40 seconds.
The RU track and field teams will return to competition on Saturday, January 12th at the Ranger Relays hosted by UW-Parkside.