BELOIT, Wis. - The Rockford University men's soccer team (3-5-1) batted to a scoreless tie on the road Thursday afternoon against the Beloit College Buccaneers (1-5-2). The tie means the Regents will retain possession of the Stateline Cup for the second straight year. Rockford is now 1-0-1 in the series since the cup was introduced last fall.
- Rockford was in control of the match for much of the afternoon, outshooting the Bucs 32-16 including a 10-8 edge in shots on goal.
- The Regents peppered the net in the first half, recording six of their ten shots on goal in the opening 45 minutes. Carlos Montes led Rockford with a pair of shots on goal, while Ryan Munch, Alonzo Carrillo, Caleb Warmbier and Saeed Alqahtani each had one.
- Rockford had a couple of additional scoring opportunities in both the second half and overtime.
- Simeon Adesina and Armando Trujillo each were credited with a shot on goal in the second half, while Alonzo Carrillo and Ryan Munch had one apiece in overtime.
- However, the highlight of the match was the outstanding play of RU goalkeeper Francesco Martincig. Martincig was magnificent in goal, stopping all eight of the Buccaneer shot attempts and leading the Regent defense. A couple of his saves were of the spectacular variety, where he was forced to leave his feet in order to punch the ball over or away from the net.
- Rockford's strong defensive performance allowed the Regents to end the match with a 0-0 tie.
- Francesco Martincig was perfect in goal for the Regents. Martincig finished with a career-high 8 saves on 8 attempts. He also turned the Buccaneers away on multiple other scoring opportunities throughout the match.
- Alonzo Carrillo finished with a match-high 7 shots, including 2 shots on goal.
- Ryan Munch tallied 5 shots, with 2 of them on goal.
- Carlos Montes added 4 shots, 2 of which were on goal.
The RU men's soccer team opens NACC play next Wednesday, September 25 at Concordia University Wisconsin. The match has a scheduled start time of 4:00 PM.