NAPERVILLE, Ill. - The Rockford University men's soccer team (1-2) lost a hard fought battle, 2-1, on Tuesday night to a very talented North Central College (2-1) Cardinals team. Tonight's match was the third of four straight road matches to open the season, with the first three taking place over just a five-day span. Additionally, North Central went a perfect 3-0 against the NACC last season, including victories over two of the top four teams and a win over the 2018 NACC Tournament Champions. However, Rockford played toe-to-toe with North Central all night long and led early on. After the Regents took a 1-0 lead in the opening 11 minutes, the Cardinals scored the final two goals of the match for a 2-1 victory.
- The Regents struck first in the 11th minute to take an early 1-0 lead. Rockford peppered the net with back-to-back shots on goal in under five seconds, with Cruz Marquez beating the North Central keeper to put the Regents out in front 1-0.
- North Central would tie the match just over four minutes later, when Pablo Bustamante found the back of the net to knot the match at 1-1.
- The two schools combined for just two shots on goal for the remainder of the half, as the match entered the intermission tied at 1-1.
- North Central would jump in front 2-1 off an Alexis Flores goal in the 60th minute.
- Unfortunately, the Regents were unable to tie the match over the final thirty minutes, as the Cardinals hung on for the 2-1 win.
- Cruz Marquez tallied two shots and scored his first goal of the season.
- Ryan Munch led Rockford with a team-high three shots and two shots on goal.
- Van Halvorsen finished with two shots.
- Francesco Martincig made four saves during his 90 minutes in goal.
The Rockford University men's soccer team returns to action on Friday, September 6 at Franklin College. The match has a scheduled start time of 6:30 PM.