GREENVILLE, Ill. - The Rockford University men's soccer team (1-1) dropped its first match of the season 4-1 on the road Saturday afternoon to the Greenville University Panthers (1-0). Rockford never led in the match, as Greenville scored twice in the first 16 minutes to grab an early 2-0 lead. The Regents were able to pull back within one late in the first half, only to see the Panthers respond three minutes later with a goal of their own. Greenville then put the match away with a goal late in the second half to secure the 4-1 victory.
- Greenville held advantages in all three major statistical categories on Saturday. The Panthers led in shots, 14-8, shots on goal, 8-5 and corner kicks, 7-1.
- The Panthers took a quick 1-0 lead off a Jared McPeek goal in the sixth minute.
- Greenville extended its lead to 2-0 following a goal from Matt White in the sixteenth minute.
- Despite falling in an early 2-0 hole, Rockford continued to fight and would pull back within one early in the 33rd minute. Senior Ryan Munch found the back of the net for his second goal in as many games to make it 2-1.
- Unfortunately, Greenville answered right back with a goal of its own less than four minutes later to take a 3-1 advantage into the half.
- The score remained unchanged until late in the second half, when Greenville notched its fourth goal of the day, to secure the 4-1 win.
- Ryan Munch again led the offensive attack for the Regents, scoring his second goal in as many matches. Munch has been directly involved in all three of the Regents goals so far this year, with two goals and one assist.
- Saeed Alqahtani finished tied for the team lead with two shots and one shot on goal.
- Goalkeeper Cam Polley came in and played the final 42:15, making three saves and allowing just one goal.
The RU men's soccer team returns to action on Tuesday, September 3 at North Central College. The match has a scheduled start time of 7:30 PM.