ELSAH, Ill. - The Rockford University men's soccer team (1-0) opened its season with a trilling 2-1 double overtime victory at Principia College (0-1). The match lasted over four hours due to weather issues. Statistically Rockford held a slight 18-12 edge in total shots; however, the Regents and Panthers finished tied with only five shots on goal each. In addition, Rockford did not lead until senior Ryan Munch scored the game-winning goal in the 105th minute. The victory gave Rockford its second win in the last seven years in a season opener. It was also the third straight season opener for Rockford that went into double overtime.
- Principia struck first in the 35th minute with a goal by Seth Arens to grab a 1-0 lead in the first half.
- With Rockford still trailing 1-0 late in the match, Van Halvorsen scored his first collegiate goal in the 84th minute to tie the match at 1-1. Halvorsen was assisted on the goal by senior Ryan Munch.
- Neither team was able to score during the remaining seven minutes of regulation, sending the match into overtime.
- The first overtime period saw a total of just three shots, with none of them on goal, forcing a second overtime period.
- Rockford took the only two shots in the second overtime, with Ryan Munch scoring the game-winner in the 105th minute.
- Senior Ryan Munch was involved in both of Rockford's goals. Munch assisted on the game-tying goal late in the second half, and then scored the game-winning goal midway through the second overtime period.
- Van Halvorsen scored his first collegiate goal and tied the match late in the second half.
- Goalkeeper Francesco Martincig tallied four saves and picked up his first win in a Regent uniform.
The RU men's soccer team returns to the field on Saturday, August 31 at Greenville. The match has a scheduled start time of 3:00 PM.