FOND DU LAC, Wis. - The Rockford University men's soccer team (7-8-2, 2-5-1 NACC) took on the Marian University Sabres (4-7-2, 2-5-1 NACC) on the road on Saturday afternoon. The field conditions were not ideal as players on both sides constantly lost their footing due to the muddy ground. It was tied 0-0 at the half before each team was able to score one in the second half. The game would need overtime but there would be no winner at the end as the Regents tied the Sabres 1-1 despite controlling the tempo for the majority of the game.
- In the first half Rockford outshot Marian 11-2.
- The Regent defense did well on multiple occasions to keep it a scoreless first half.
- Jonathan Eduardo Rosales (Cicero, Ill.) saved a break away shot to keep it knotted at 0-0.
- With just a few minutes to play in the half Gaige Cervantes (Rockford, Ill.) slid in to stop a scoring opportunity in the box.
- It would take just 54 seconds into the second half to break the scoreless game.
- Josiah Kusik for Marian dribbled down the left side and beat his defender and snuck it by the goalie to give the Sabres a 1-0 lead.
- For the remainder of the second half it was Rockford with all the chances.
- Unfortunately for the Regents it seemed as though they could not find an answer.
- It would not be until the 86:27 mark that Saeed Alqahtani (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia) would tie up the game for Rockford and help send it to overtime.
- Alonzo Carrillo (Harvard, Ill.) sent a cross into the box that found the head of Alqahtani, as he placed it into the bottom left corner.
- Overtime started as much of the regulation played out with the Regents controlling the ball in Sabres half of the field.
- Ian Chacon for Marian played very well in net saving 12 of his 13 shots faced.
- Despite outshooting Marian 4-1 in overtime neither team was able to come away with a goal as Rockford tied Marian 1-1.
- Rockford outshot the Sabres 26-9 in the game as well as having a 7-2 advantage on corner kicks.
- Saeed Alqahtani registered his first goal of the season.
- With his assist Alonzo Carrillo now is tied for a team-high 3 assists on the year and is now tied for a team-high 13 points on the season.
The Rockford University men's soccer team returns to action when it travels to take on Edgewood on Wednesday, October 17. The match is scheduled for 7 PM.