AURORA, Ill. - The Rockford University men's soccer team (6-5-1, 2-3-0 NACC) picked up a huge 2-1 road win on Wednesday evening over NACC foe Aurora University (4-7-1, 3-1-1 NACC). The win gives the Regents their first ever NACC victory over Aurora University and hands the Spartans their first loss in conference play this season. Rockford is now 2-2 in its last four conference matches, all of which were decided by a single goal.
- All three goals were scored in the first half of the match.
- Rockford broke the scoreless tie in the 32nd minute when Alonzo Carrillo (Harvard, Ill.) found the back of the net on a through ball from Simeon Adesina (Plainfield, Ill.).
- The Spartans would tie the match seven minutes later when Collin Foreman scored a goal off a cross.
- Fortunately the Regents were able to regain the lead just three minutes later after Carlos Montes (Waukesha, Wis.) scored what turned out to be the game-winning goal off a cross from Carrillo.
- The RU defense would take it the rest of the way, and did not allow a goal over the remaining 48 minutes. Aurora recorded just five shots in second half, only one of which was on goal.
- Alonzo Carrillo scored his team-leading fifth goal of the season and was credited with his second assist this year. Carrillo is tied for eighth in the conference in goals (5) and tied for tenth in points (12).
- Carlos Montes tallied his third goal of the year and his second game-winning goal of the season.
- Simeon Adesina picked up his second assist of the season.
- Goalkeeper Edgar Gomez (Belvidere, Ill.) had a game-high four saves and made multiple key plays in the closing moments of the match.
The Rockford University men's soccer team returns home on Thursday, October 4 to host Maranatha Baptist University. The match has a scheduled start time of 4 PM at Sportscore Two.