MILWAUKEE, Wis. - The Rockford University men's soccer team (5-5-1, 1-3-0 NACC) dropped by the narrowest of margins to the first place MSOE Raiders (8-2-0, 4-0-0 NACC) on Saturday afternoon. The Regents played extremely well keeping the undefeated Raiders off the board until the 80' as Rockford fell by a final score of 1-0.
- In the first half each time had its chances as each registered 2 shots on goal, despite MSOE outshooting the Regents 7-2 in the half.
- As the two teams head into the half scoreless a big reason for that was second year goalie Edgar Gomez (Belvidere, Ill.).
- Gomez came away with a huge save on a penalty kick late in the first half.
- In the second half it was a still a tight match despite MSOE outshooting the Regents 12-4.
- Finally, it paid off for the Raiders as Joey Schauer split the defense and found Rade Novakovich who put it away in the bottom corner of the net at the 80:05 mark.
- Rockford could not come away with a tying goal in the final minute as RU fell to MSOE 1-0.
- Edgar Gomez played exceptional in net recording six saves on seven shots, including a penalty kick.
- Simeon Adesina (Plainfield, Ill.) led the Regent offense with a team-high 4 shots.
The Rockford University men's soccer team returns to play when it travels to Aurora on Wednesday October 3. The match is scheduled for 7 PM.