RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Rockford University men's soccer team (5-4-1, 1-2-0 NACC) picked up a huge 1-0 win on the road Wednesday afternoon against the Concordia University Chicago Cougars (2-4-0, 1-2-0 NACC). Wednesday's shutout was the Regents fourth of the young season and their third shutout victory of the year. With the win, the Regents improve to 2-2 in their last four matches against the Cougars.
- The Regents and Cougars were evenly matched in the first half as both teams tallied six shots including three on goal.
- Rockford broke the scoreless tie in the 59th minute when Simeon Adesina (Plainfield, Ill.) beat a trio of defenders and found the back of the net to give the Regents a 1-0 lead. Luis Ortega (Rockford, Ill.) was credited with the assist on the play.
- With the Regents leading 1-0, Rockford continued to keep the pressure on the Cougars. Rockford outshot Concordia Chicago 10-5 in the second half including a 7-2 advantage in shots on goal.
- The one goal was all sophomore goalkeeper Edgar Gomez (Belvidere, Ill.) and the rest of the Rockford defense would need. The Regents held the Cougars to just two shots on goal the remainder of the match, both of which were saved by Gomez, to secure the 1-0 win.
- Simeon Adesina tied for the team-high with his fourth goal of the season.
- Luis Ortega tallied his first assist of the season.
- Goalie Edgar Gomez pitched his second shutout of the year to improve to 2-2-0. He made a season-high 5 saves in the match during his 90 minutes in goal.
The RU men's soccer team hits the road again on Saturday, September 29 to face the MSOE Raiders. The match has a scheduled start time of 3:30 PM.