MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - The Rockford University men's soccer team (2-1-1) dropped a tough one-goal match, 2-1, on the road to the North Central University Rams (3-1-0). The match was basically a statistical dead heat as both teams appeared evenly matched. North Central had a slight edge in shots, 13-10, and shots on goal 5-4, while Rockford had an 8-5 advantage in corner kicks. The loss snaps Rockford's three-match unbeaten streak to start the season.
- Rockford broke the scoreless tie in the 11th minute when Alonzo Carrillo (Harvard, Ill.) found the back of the net for his team-leading fourth goal of the season. Carrillo was assisted on the play by Jose Cruz (Moline, Ill.).
- North Central would tie the game in the 30th minute on an unassisted goal by Danny Williams.
- The Rams then took the lead in the 59th minute when Williams scored his second goal of the match.
- Unfortunately Rockford was unable to tie the match as the Rams held on for the 2-1 win.
- Alonzo Carrillo scored his fourth goal of the season on Saturday. Carrillo has now scored four of Rockford's five goals this season, and has scored in three of the team's four matches. His four goals is also the second most in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference and is just one off the leader.
- Jose Cruz was credited with his first assist of the season in the match.
The RU men's soccer team returns to action on Sunday, September 9 at Bethany Lutheran College. The match has a scheduled start time of 1:00 PM.