RIPON, Wis. - The Rockford University men's soccer team (1-0-1) picked up its first win of the season on Sunday with a 2-0 victory over the Ripon College Red Hawks (0-2-0). Rockford was in control and kept constant pressure on Ripon for pretty much the entire afternoon. The Regents held a commanding 18-6 edge in shots and 6-0 advantage in corner kicks. With the win, the Regents are now just one of four remaining unbeaten teams in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference this season.
- Rockford broke the scoreless tie in the 39th minute when Alonzo Carrillo (Harvard, Ill.) found the back of the net off an assist from Fernando Mercado (Harvard, Ill.).
- The RU defense made sure the Regents entered the half with the lead as it continued to assert its dominance. Rockford allowed a total of just two shots in the opening 45 minutes, both of which were saved by senior goalkeeper Anthony Beck (Fishers, Ind.).
- Carrillo would give the Regents a little extra breathing room early in the second half, when he scored his second goal of the match to put Rockford out in front 2-0. Carrillo's shot found the back left corner of the net off a nice assist from Carlos Montes (Waukesha, Wis.).
- Two goals was more than enough for Rockford as the Regents pitched their second straight shutout of the season to earn their first win of the year.
- Alonzo Carrillo tallied his first multi-goal game of his collegiate career, scoring both of the Regents' goals.
- Fernando Mercado recorded his first assist of the season, while Carlos Montes tallied his first collegiate assist.
- Jari Leussink (Ootmarsum, Holland) and Carlos Montes tied for the team-high with four shots each.
- Anthony Beck improved to 1-0 in goal this season with his first shutout of the year.
- As a team, Rockford has been extremely tough defensively this season. The Regents have now played a total of 200 minutes without allowing a goal.
The Rockford University men's soccer team returns to action on Wednesday, September 5 at home against Beloit College. The match has a scheduled start time of 7 PM at Sportscore Two.