MADISON, Wis. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (12-11, 11-7 NACC) dropped a tough 109-94 road game on Saturday to the Edgewood College Eagles (9-13, 9-8 NACC). Despite what the final score might indicate, the game was extremely close for the vast majority of the afternoon. Both the Regents and Eagles shot the ball extremely well all game. Rockford shot 48.6% (34-of-70) from the floor and 80.0% (20-of-25) at the free throw line, while Edgewood shot 60.0% (42-of-70) from the floor, including 53.1% (17-of-32) from three-point range. Ultimately, it was the Eagles who pulled away in the final five and a half minutes, when they hit four straight threes and took a 15-point lead, to seal the victory.
- Rockford opened the game hitting four of its first five shots to take a quick 9-5 advantage. Kevin Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) led the way for the Regents with five points on a perfect 2-for-2 shooting.
- However, the Eagles responded right back with a 7-2 run of their own, to retake the lead at 12-11.
- The two teams went back and forth over the next five minutes, as the lead changed hands on four separate occasions. Edgewood was ultimately able to take a five-point advantage with 9:32 remaining in the first half.
- The Eagles would extend their lead to as many as seven points, until Rockford used a 4-0 run in the closing minutes of the half. Will Adams (Chicago, Ill.) and Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) each scored a pair of points during that stretch.
- With less than a minute remaining in the half, Adams then knocked down a huge triple to cut the Eagle lead back to two at 50-48. However, Edgewood answered with a made jumper in the final seconds to take a 52-48 advantage into the break.
- Rockford wasted little time retaking the lead in the second half. The Regents opened the period with a 10-2 run to tie their largest lead of the day, at 58-54. Senior Tony Diemer led the charge with five straight points during that span.
- Unfortunately, just like in the first half, the Eagles responded right back with an 11-2 run of their own, to retake a five-point lead.
- The Eagles lead hovered around four points, until Edgewood hit back-to-back threes to grab a 77-67 advantage with 10:21 remaining.
- Later in the half, Rockford used a 7-0 run to pull back within three points, with 6:14 left in the game. A trio of Regents scoring during that span, led by three points from Kivontay Shaw.
- However, from that moment forward it was all Edgewood. The Eagles promptly scored the next 12 points, off four straight three pointers, to take a 15-point lead with under four minutes remaining.
- Edgewood led by as many as 18 points down the stretch en route to a 109-94 win.
- Kevin Diemer recorded his fourth straight double-double, giving him eight for the season. Diemer finished with a game-high 21 points on 8-for-12 shooting, a game-high 11 rebounds and 3 assists. He is now the fifth leading rebounder in the NACC, averaging 8.7 rebounds per game.
- Taylor Krocker (Portage, Wis.) played excellent off the bench on Saturday. Krocker tallied 17 points on 8-for-12 shooting, 3 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 block.
- Kivontay Shaw added 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting, 2 rebounds and 2 assists.
- Will Adams had a season-high 15 points, as he went a perfect 8-for-8 at the free throw line. Adams also had a season-high 7 rebounds and 1 assist.
- Tony Diemer tallied 13 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 block. Diemer is now fifth in the NACC in scoring, averaging 18.3 points per game and ninth in rebounding, averaging 7.1 rebounds per game.
The Rockford University men's basketball team returns to the court on Tuesday, February 12 at Lakeland University. Tip-off is set for 7 PM. The Regents can officially clinch a spot in the NACC Tournament with either a win over Lakeland or a Wisconsin Lutheran loss.