LISLE, Ill. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (11-10, 10-6 NACC) put on a clinic in its 93-78 road win on Saturday over the Benedictine University Eagles (11-9, 8-7 NACC). The Regents dominated every facet of the game, as they led for 36 minutes and 10 seconds, compared to just 1 minute and 29 seconds for Benedictine. Rockford shot a blistering 56.4% (31-of-55) from the floor, while holding the Eagles to just 43.3% shooting. The Regents were also outstanding at the free throw line, connecting on 96.3% (26-of-27) of their attempts. Sophomore forward Kevin Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) tied the RU school record going a perfect 10-for-10 at the free throw line. The win snaps Rockford's 12-game losing streak to Eagles and is also the first win for the Regents at Benedictine since Saturday, January 30, 2010. The Regents now hold a 1.5-game lead for the #3 seed in the NACC Tournament and a 2-game lead for the #4 seed. The magic number for Rockford to clinch a berth in the conference tournament now sits at two.
- Rockford opened the game scoring 12 of the first 19 points to take an early 12-7 lead. Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) and Jeremiah Stewart (Chicago, Ill.) each scored five points, including knocking down a triple.
- Benedictine would score the next five points to tie the game, before Rockford used a 10-2 run to grab a 22-14 advantage. Tony Diemer and Kivontay Shaw (Galesburg, Ill.) led the way with four points apiece over that span.
- The back-and-forth nature of the game continued over the next 1 minute and 49 seconds, as Benedictine scored eight straight points to tie the game at 22-22.
- The two schools continued to trade baskets for the remainder of the first half, until Taylor Krocker (Portage, Wis.) drained a jumper at the buzzer to give the Regents a 44-41 lead heading into halftime.
- This time it was the Eagles who opened the half strong, using a 7-3 run to retake the lead at 48-47.
- Fortunately, Rockford answered right back with 14 straight points over the next 3 minutes and 6 seconds. Four different Regents scored during that span, led by eight huge points from Brandon Emerick (Elkhart, Ind.), including a clutch three-pointer to jump-start the run.
- Benedictine was however able to get back within 5 points with 5:48 remaining in the second half.
- Fortunately, the Regents were able to salt the game away over the next four and half minutes by scoring ten straight points, to take an 87-72 lead with 1:09 remaining. Jeremiah Stewart led the charge for Rockford with four points.
- Rockford then went a perfect 6-for-6 at the line over the final minute to secure the 93-78 win.
- Tony Diemer led Rockford with 25 points on 8-for-13 shooting and 8 rebounds.
- Kevin Diemer recorded his sixth double-double of the season, including his second straight, with 12 points, 10 rebounds and 1 assist.
- Brandon Emerick finished with 21 points on 7-for-11 shooting, including going 3-for-6 on three-pointers, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals.
- Jeremiah Stewart had 15 points on 5-for-7 shooting, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 steal.
- Taylor Krocker came off the bench to add 12 points on 6-for-9 shooting, 4 rebounds and 1 assist.
The RU men's basketball team concludes the home portion of its regular season schedule on Wednesday, February 6 against Concordia University Chicago. Tip-off is set for 7 PM in the Seaver Center. Rockford will also be honoring its six seniors prior to the start of the game.