MILWAUKEE, Wis. - Rockford University senior forward Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) eclipsed another career milestone on Wednesday night, when he surpassed 1,500 career points as a Regent. The historic basket came with 14:09 remaining in the first half, as Diemer drained a three-pointer to give him 1,501 career points. He is now just the ninth player in program history to score 1,500 points and only the eighth men's basketball player with 1,500 points and 500 rebounds in a career. Unfortunately, it was the MSOE Raiders (16-2, 11-2 NACC) who picked up the 88-76 win over the Regents (8-10, 7-6 NACC), and moved into a tie for first place in the NACC.
- Despite what the final score might indicate, the game was very close throughout, as it featured eight ties and ten lead changes.
- Rockford connected on its first two shots of the game to jump out to a quick 5-0 lead. Kivontay Shaw (Galesburg, Ill.) drained a three to get the scoring started, followed by a made layup from Tony Diemer.
- However, it was MSOE who was able to use a 14-5 run midway through the half to take the largest lead for either team in the opening period, at 31-20.
- Fortunately, the Regents closed the half strong with a 19-8 run to make it a 39-39 game at the break. Five different Regents scored over the final six minutes of the half, led by seven points from Tony Dimer and five points from Brandon Emerick (Elkhart, Ind.).
- The second half opened with a flurry of scoring from both teams, as there were three ties and five lead changes in the opening five minutes.
- The Regents would eventually pull ahead by as many as five points with 12:04 remaining, after Brandon Emerick scored six points in a span of just 22 seconds.
- Rockford's lead was short lived however, as MSOE scored the next 12 points to pull back in front 68-61.
- MSOE would extend its lead to seven points before the Regents got back-to-back threes from Talon Hardin (Rantoul, Ill.) and Brandon Emerick to make it just a one-point game with 3:37 remaining.
- Unfortunately, the Raiders outscored the Regents 16-5 for the remainder of the game to secure the 88-76 win.
- The loss drops the Regents into a tie for fifth place in the conference with a 7-6 NACC record.
- Brandon Emerick led Rockford with a team-high 23 points on 8-of-15 shooting, including draining six three-pointers. Emerick also had 5 assists, 3 rebounds and 1 steal.
- Tony Diemer finished with 17 points, 8 rebounds and 2 assists.
- Will Adams added 9 points, 3 rebounds and 1 steal off the bench.
- Talon Hardin finished with 8 points, 3 assists, 1 rebound, 1 block and 1 steal off the bench.
- Kevin Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) had 8 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals.
The RU men's basketball team returns home on Saturday, January 26 to face Illinois Tech. Tip-off is set for 4:15 PM in the Seaver Center.