MEQUON, Wis. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (8-7, 7-5 NACC) lost a hard-fought battle, 90-83, on Saturday afternoon to the NACC leading Concordia University Wisconsin Falcons (11-5, 11-2 NACC). Saturday's game was a tale of two halves, as Rockford dominated much of the first half, and Concordia Wisconsin controlled the second half. The Regents led by a game-high 19 points midway through the first half, while the Falcons led by as many as 12 points late in the second half. Statistically the two teams were fairly evenly matched. Both the Regents and the Falcons made exactly 31 field goals. Rockford did however have the advantage in bench points (28-12), fast break points (23-16), second chance points (14-8) and points off turnovers (15-12). However, the Falcons held an edge in field goal percentage (47.7% to 43.1%), made three point field goals (10-9), made free throws (18-12) and rebounds (41-38).
- With the game tied at 5-5 in the opening moments, the Regents went on a 25-6 run over the next 7 minutes and 43 seconds to leap out in front 30-11. Eight different Regents scored during that span led by seven points from Jeremiah Stewart (Chicago, Ill.) and five points from Will Adams (Chicago, Ill.). Four different Regents also knocked down a three-pointer during the run.
- The Falcons then answered right back with a 7-0 run of their own to cut the Regent lead down to 12 points at 30-18.
- Fortunately, the Regents responded with back-to-back threes off the hands off Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) and Kevin Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) to make it a 36-18 RU advantage.
- CUW did not go away though, as they quickly used a 12-0 run to pull back within six points at 36-30 with four minutes remaining in the opening half.
- Rockford would push its lead back to ten points before ultimately heading into the intermission with a 43-36 advantage.
- The Falcons scored the first 11 points of the second half and took their first lead since the opening moments of the game, when they led 2-0.
- The CUW lead hovered around five points until midway through the second half, when Rockford used an 8-0 run to retake the lead at 66-63. A trio of Regents scored over that span, led by four points from Taylor Krocker (Portage, Wis.).
- Rockford's advantage was short lived though, as there were five lead changes over the next four minutes.
- Unfortunately, the game turned in CUW's favor with 5:34 remaining in the second half. The Falcons used a 14-0 run over the next 2 minutes and 56 seconds to take their largest lead of the game at 86-74.
- Kivontay Shaw (Galesburg, Ill.) was able to pull the Regents back within five, after draining a three-pointer with 1:09 remaining.
- However, Rockford was unable to get any closer, and fell by a final score of 90-83.
- Taylor Krocker recorded his first double-double of the season with a team-high 19 points on 63.6% shooting, 11 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 steals and 2 assists.
- Tony Diemer tallied his third double-double of the season with 18 points, a season-high 12 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal. He is now just four points shy of 1,500 for his career at Rockford.
- Will Adams finished with 13 points, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 rebound and 1 block.
- Brandon Emerick (Elkhart, Ind.) added 11 points, 5 assists and 1 rebound.
The RU men's basketball team hits the road again on Wednesday, January 23 to face MSOE. Tip-off is set for 7:00 PM in the Kern Center.