RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (7-8, 6-4 NACC) got its revenge over the Dominican University Stars (2-13, 2-8 NACC) on Saturday evening taking home the victory by a final score of 81-76. Rockford manage to take to lead at the half in a tightly contest affair as the Regents were up 41-40. The Stars were effective from beyond the arc as they connected twelve times from three-point range. Fortunately, Rockford was able to make the most of its chances at the free throw line going 21-for-26 on the day as it helped push them past the Stars.
- Rockford's largest lead of the first half came after Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) knocked down both of his free throws to give the Regents a 10-5 lead.
- Dominican continued to give Rockford trouble as Rockford found itself down 14-16. Fortunately, an 8-2 run put the Regents back on top 22-18 with 9:12 to play.
- After it was knotted at 24-24 the Stars sprung on a 10-4 run to regain a lead over RU.
- With the back-and-forth battle ensuing the Regents took a 40-39 lead after Brandon Emerick (Elkhart, Ind.) converted both of his free throws as 1:26 was left on the clock.
- Each team would convert from the free throw the line as Rockford took a 41-40 lead into the half over Dominican.
- Dominican was able to convert 7-of-16 from beyond the arc in the first half compared to 0-for-6 for Rockford.
- Tony Diemer led the Regents at the half with 10 points.
- Dominican continued to be effective from deep as it connected three times to help the Stars take a 53-50 lead with 14:48 remaining.
- The Regents did well to dig their way back as they took a 58-55 lead after Talon Hardin (Rantoul, Ill.) converted on his and-one.
- Neither team could pull away from another, but Kevin Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) converted on an and-one to give the Regents a 71-67 lead with 6:10 remaining in the game.
- The Stars did not quit as they put together 9-2 run to give Dominican a 76-73 lead. Brandon Emerick helped break the momentum as he knocked down a clutch corner three to tie the game up 76-76 with 2:25 to play.
- Rockford found itself up 79-76 in the dying seconds. Dominican attempted to drive and kick for a tying three but the pass was too long as it went for an over-and-back.
- With 6 seconds left Taylor Krocker (Portage, Wis.) was sent to the line and converted both his attempts as the Regents went on to win the game 81-76.
- Three Rockford players finished with double-digits on the day.
- Tony Diemer led all scorers with a game-high 20 points while going a perfect 6-for-6 from the charity stripe. Diemer also recorded 4 rebounds and 2 assists.
- Taylor Krocker played well off the bench finishing the day with 17 points on 7-for-9 from the floor and 3-of-4 from the line. Krocker also tallied a game-high 9 rebounds, 2 assists and a block.
- Brandon Emerick registered 10 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals and an assist.
The Rockford University men's basketball team returns to action on Tuesday, January 15 when it hosts Wisconsin Lutheran. Tip-off is set for 7 PM.