ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (5-7, 4-3 NACC) rang in the 2019 portion of its schedule with a big win over the Lakeland University Muskies (6-6, 4-3 NACC) on Thursday night. Rockford led at the half 53-48 before pulling away in the second to go on to win by a final score of 99-79. The Regents dominated the boards as RU outrebounded the Muskies 60-33. Rockford also found success from the free throw line and from beyond the arc. RU went 18-of-22 from the charity stripe and knocked down 9-of-15 from three-point land.
- The Regents came roaring out of the gate as they went on a 16-4 run to start the game.
- The Muskies fought their way back as they still trailed 28-20 with 9:28 left in the first half.
- Despite Lakeland attempting to mount a comeback the Regents were able to find an answer to keep their lead.
- LU knocked down six shots from beyond the arc in the final five minutes of the first half to cut into the Rockford lead. The Regents led going into the half 53-48.
- Rockford did well in the first half to spread the ball around as all eight players who stepped on the court scored.
- RU seemed like it could not miss from downtown as they went 6-for-8 in the first half.
- Kivontay Shaw (Galesburg, Ill.) led the Regents at the half with 12 points and 6 rebounds while hitting both of his three-point attempts. Brandon Emerick (Elkhart, Ind.) contributed 10 points in the first, while also knocking down both of his attempts from beyond the arc.
- Rockford opened the second on a 9-3 run to increase its lead with still 17:51 remaining in the game.
- Lakeland would not surrender as the Muskies battled back again to cut it down to a 69-61 game with 13:11 to play.
- That would be as close as LU would get as the Regents ran away with the game defeating Lakeland by a final score of 99-79.
- Rockford was dominant in the paint as it outscored Lakeland 50-30. The Regent bench also did well to contribute 31 points compared to just 22 for the Muskies.
- Five Rockford players scored in the double-digits on Thursday night, including three players who recorded double-doubles.
- Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) led the Regents with 20 points and tacked on 10 rebounds and 5 assists. This is the second double-double for Tony Diemer on the year.
- Kivontay Shaw also recorded his second double-double of the season as he logged 17 points on 5-of-7 shooting and added 10 rebounds.
- Kevin Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) led all players with 12 rebounds while picking up his third double-double of the season as he tacked on 10 points, 2 assists and 2 blocks.
- Brandon Emerick recorded 14 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists and a steal.
- Taylor Krocker (Portage, Wis.) did well off the bench registering 13 points on 6-of-8 shots from the field and tallied 3 rebounds and an assist.
The Rockford University men's basketball team returns to action Saturday, January 5. The Regents host Aurora for a 4:15 PM tip-off.