AURORA, Ill. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (2-5, 2-3 NACC) scored over 100 points for the second straight game to pick up a huge 112-103 road win over NACC preseason favorite Aurora University (2-3, 1-3 NACC). Saturday's win was Rockford's first victory at Aurora since January 4, 2003, when the Regents defeated the Spartans 70-64. It was also one of the best performances so far this season for Rockford. The Regents' 30 made free throws on only 34 attempts are the most in a game for Rockford since the 2015-16 season, and the Regents' 88.2% shooting from the line is highest percentage for Rockford with at least 30 attempts in a game since joining the NACC for the 2006-07 season. Senior Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) also tied RU single-game free throw percentage record, going a perfect 10-for-10 at the line. Offensively Rockford shot a season-high 52.9% (37-of-70) from the floor and turned the ball over a season-low 11 times. Rockford was also a season best +14 (44-30) on the boards.
- Aurora opened the game with a 15-4 run to jump out to an early lead.
- The Spartan advantage would hover around six points until just over midway through the half, when the Regents used a 9-0 run to take a 35-32 lead. Senior Talon Hardin (Rantoul, Ill.) led the way scoring the final five points of the run, to give Rockford its first lead of the game.
- Later in the half, the Regents went on an 11-1 run to take a 51-41 lead, their largest of the half. Senior Taylor Krocker (Portage, Wis.) scored a team-high six points during that span.
- However, the Spartans closed the half strong, hitting a three in the final seconds to cut Rockford's lead to 55-51 entering the break.
- Aurora cut the Rockford lead down to just a single point in the opening minute of the second half. Fortunately, Rockford responded right back with five straight points to push its lead back to six at 62-56.
- Still leading by two with 17:17 remaining, Rockford went on a 13-2 run to take a commanding 75-62 lead. Senior Jeremiah Stewart (Chicago, Ill.) scored six straight points during the run, as Rockford began to seize control of the game.
- Rockford would extend its lead to as many as 15 points on two separate occasions. The latter coming with exactly 11 minutes remaining following Talon Hardin made three-pointer.
- With Rockford still leading 94-86 and 3:20 remaining, Aurora began to extend the game by fouling the Regents on nearly every possession. Consequently, the Regents scored their final 18 points at the free throw line on 18-of-20 shooting.
- The Spartans were never able to get any closer than four down the stretch, as Rockford went on to win by a final score of 112-103.
- Tony Diemer finished with a game-high 28 points on 9-of-14 shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal. Diemer also tied the RU school record going a perfect 10-for-10 at the free throw line.
- Brandon Emerick (Elkhart, Ind.) had his best game of the season. Emerick finished a season-high 20 points on 6-of-14 shooting, including 4-of-7 from long range, 3 assists, 2 rebounds and 1 steal.
- Taylor Krocker was outstanding all game long. Krocker had a career-high 24 points on 8-of-12 shooting, 8 rebounds and a team-high 4 assists off the bench.
- Jeremiah Stewart had a great all-around game for the Regents. Stewart tallied 16 points on 7-of-13 shooting, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks.
- Kevin Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) finished with a game-high 10 rebounds, 4 points and 3 assists.
The RU men's basketball team returns home on Wednesday, December 12 to face Knox College. Tip-off is set for 7 PM in the Seaver Center.